Does anyone smoke cigarettes?

Options
I am a smoker, and have been smoking since I was a teenager. Gross, I know. I've noticed that over the last month as I've been getting my body in shape, I have been having chest pain and coughing a lot (which never happened before). This is especially true when I'm doing cardio. My lungs feel great while I'm working out, but throughout the day there has been uncomfortableness. Does anyone else smoke, and if so, what has your experience been like in becoming more active? I'm obviously more and more wanting to quit. :ohwell:

Replies

• sethysgirl
    Options
    I do smoke at the moment, I have been for close to 12 years. Luckily I have cut down to about 3 a day with my weight loss. If I work out first thing in the morning and don't allow myself to smoke before I work out, I usually feel better during the day. I also find that if I just stop and take a few deep breaths when I find myself feeling congested in my chest, it usually will clear enough to feel better.
  • wwstewart
    wwstewart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I do as well. Sometimes I'll wait a couple hours if I know I'm going to exercise, and after that I usually feel better.

If it weren't for nicotine and caffeine, I'd be a horrible person. lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i quit, oh but i would like one,, right now......
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    I think I'm going to cut down and see how I feel. That'll be the first step.
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    i quit, oh but i would like one,, right now......
    I'm so sorry if it's my post that did that! Awesome that you quit, I am jealous.
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    I switched to an e cig and love it, no more pain and the only bad thing is the nicotine. Just a healthier alternative
  • hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You could always try an e-cigg
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I smoke. It definitely creates a challenge but I've come so much further than I've ever imagined. I've been cutting down and will quit eventually. I'm starting with cutting down, though.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I did, for 13 years. Quit in September 2012 and it was in the top 3 of the best things I ever did. I can run again! It was also MUUUCH easier than I expected and I wish someone had told me years ago how not very hard it was. Only downside was it translated into an exercise addiction. Which is not a downside at all since I kinda wanna be a hot bish. :)

PS, I used an e cig to quit. Still have one for the occasional drunken puff, but haven't used it in about 2 months.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    http://www.provape.com <~ BF and I have the Provari model. We quit before but stupidly picked the habit back up again. Cut down first on cigarettes and use the e-cig... even still smoking the e-cig, I was shocked how much my lung capacity improved. I was able to run and do the stair-machine and all the things without feeling like my lungs would give out before my body would.

Definitely use this as motivation to quit. Cancer is scary.
  • JOYOUS62
    JOYOUS62 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was till last night, I have had none today :). I started 2 years ago after having been stopped for 5 years, why did I start again? I have no idea I just think it was stupidity. This time its for good. I stopped last time using patches and that is what I am using again. I have an ecig but find them ridiculously heavy to hold.
    I was just saying to the girls at work today that I cant believe how much motivation I have at the moment, for stopping smoking and losing weight. I have never experienced such motivation ever and have no idea why I feel like this but I have to say,it is a great feeling and I feel so positive.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Since I've been eating better and what not I've actually went from half a pack a day down to maybe 2/3. I would just try smoking a little less :/
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I was till last night, I have had none today :). I started 2 years ago after having been stopped for 5 years, why did I start again? I have no idea I just think it was stupidity. This time its for good. I stopped last time using patches and that is what I am using again. I have an ecig but find them ridiculously heavy to hold.
    I was just saying to the girls at work today that I cant believe how much motivation I have at the moment, for stopping smoking and losing weight. I have never experienced such motivation ever and have no idea why I feel like this but I have to say,it is a great feeling and I feel so positive.

That's fantastic. Remember, motivation comes and goes, but if you build a routine and healthy habits, you will stick with it even when things get in the way. Best of luck.
  • AntoinetteSchmitz
    Options
    I'm glad to here there are others like me. I had my last cigarette on Friday. Not my last one ever, just the last one I feel like having for a while. I usually have 2 per day, but like you, I don't really feel like smoking so much. So my routine was always have 2 a day and exercise at night, which seemed to work. I would definitely not exercise for atleast an hour after you have a smoke. I think you could hurt yourself.
  • JOYOUS62
    JOYOUS62 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you xx
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 15 years minus 2 9month hiatus due to pregnancies....i did not notice that anything became worse once i started working out and getting in shape. I did not encounter problems with coughing or anything like that, i did encounter problems breathing but thats all and honestly i didnt think that was too bad compared to what i expected it would be like from a smoker. You may want to log this and see if it really is only when you are more active or if thats just when you have noticed it, its possible its happening at other times too, you just aren't as zoned in on it. Side note...ive been smoke free for 19 days today:)
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    I smoked for 24 years starting at age 14 and using a pack a day. I use to choke up this black stuff all the time after doing the least amount of activity and the chest pains were pretty severe as well. Since I stopped mostly all of my symptoms have gone away. I can only suggest you try to majorly cut down or stop completely. It will not get better until you do, only worse. Good luck.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    The cilia (small hair-like fibers in your lungs) are beginning to work again.
    Smoking damages, paralyzes and eventually destorys these fibers.
    They work as a type of filtration system for your lungs to kept out foreign substances (think dust, smoke, germs etc.)

Now that you are working out, these cilia are slowly beginning to work again and trying to get the junk out of your lungs.
    This is very common for people who have smoked for years and then quit.

I can see how this would be a nuisance for you but in reality it is very good for your lungs and body.

Keep working out and of course, quit smoking :wink:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/smoking-cessation/digest-a-cigarette1.htm
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke, but my bf does. He's down from a pack or so a day to half a pack a day. He started cutting back the beginning of December.

When I read your description it reminded me a bit of my exercise induced asthma. You may be able to get a rescue inhaler from your doc. Mine helps a lot, but I seem to have learned how hard to exercise and get benefits without my asthma acting up.
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your input! I honestly did not expect to hear from so many. And also, thanks for the lack of judgment! I get enough of that from my mother lol. Using an e-cig for now sounds like the best alternative for me until I am truly psychologically ready to quit. I haven't been able to look at the links yet for e-cigs, but I will definitely check that out later today. I'm nervous of the expense as I'm a college student, but it will be well worth it in the long run, I'm sure.