Any Sodium Reduction Tips

Options
I'm still fairly new to both MFP and logging my food intake but one thing that has really jumped out at me since I have been doing this is that my sodium intake is higher than it should be. Even after making a concerted effort to cut down on sodium, I still find it very difficult to keep it under the recommended daily amount. I might go 2 meals and keep it low and then I seem to ruin it on my 3rd meal or some snack. I would welcome any suggestions or tips on how to reduce it. Specific foods for all meals and/or snacks would be most appreciated. There are very few foods I don't like. Thanks.

Replies

• BiohazrD
    Options
    Don't buy meals that are pre-made. Cook yourself.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I never buy pre-made meals for home consumption. I do get take out at lunch most days (M-F) but I am an avid cook and havent ordered delivery or take out for home consumption in over a year. Also, I have not had any fast food (McD's, BK,Wendys) in almost 2 years.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Some of the sodium levels for foods in the database are wrong...for example, I was using a fresh tomatoes database item and couldn't figure out why the sodium for them was so high...the entry was actually incorrect.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Can you give us examples of food you're eating that high in sodium? Its hard to help if we do t know what you're eating
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am also making an effort to reduce my sodium. I like to make my own hot meals for lunch everyday at work, but even my healthy meals are high in sodium. I am trying to eat less processed foods and more fruits and veggies. Also, drinking lots of water will flush out some of the salt. Good luck!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and limit processed foods, including lunch meats. Everytime I try to eat something I didn't make, even a fast food salad, my sodium shoots through the roof.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Can you give us examples of food you're eating that high in sodium? Its hard to help if we do t know what you're eating
    Sure--I just had an Asian salmon salad for lunch from Cosi--thought it would be pretty healthful but it has over 900 mg of sodium. The tomato soup I had with it was like another 600 mg of sodium (this was for a side order size(smaller than a small) . Lesson learned--i'll avoid these items going forward or try to tweak my choices-less dressing, etc) but this is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

Even 2 cups of skim milk which I might have a couple times per day can be around 500mg of sodium. The list seems almost endless.
  • specandshot
    specandshot Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't buy meals that are pre-made. Cook yourself.

This. And also look for low-sodium versions of everything you buy. Good luck!
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Do not eat deli meats, most cheeses (except swiss if you must), also opt for dried beans in place of canned, and no sodium added canned tomatoes. Limit consumtion of milk as it tends to run high in sodium (1-1.5 cups a day max). Avoid prepared meats like bacon and sausage. Avoid or limit shellfish like shrimp. Also chicken can be injected with salt water to increase it's weight, so read labels on packages of chicken. Out of the veggies celery is pretty high in sodium.

Watch out for sodium in breads, wraps, crackers, and other processed grain products. Also watch out for sodium content of soups or cooking brothes and stocks. And be careful of the term "low sodium"....always read labels.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any take out will have tons of salt. Even a salad with dressing. Fresh fruits and vegetables don't. Trying cooking whole veggies to go with what you eat, not canned. Canned usually has added sodium.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. According to this even my veggie salad is 154 mg of sodium. (Carrots, celery, radish, turnip, cauliflower, broccoli)