Treadmill or elliptical?

Options
I'm a newbie to the exercise part of weightloss. And of course, I'd like to do it right.

What would you all recommend: Treadmill or elliptical?

Also, I'd like to add a bit of weight training, what would you suggest?

I know these are vague questions but where do I start?

Replies

• robertomelero5
    Options
    La cinta de correr tiene la desventaja del impacto y con un poco de sobrepeso las rodillas se pueden resentir. La elíptica es una excelente alternativa para comenzar, 20 minutos con poca cargar es una muy buena opción. Las pesas son un buen complemento pero siempre bajo el control de un profesor, trabajando por grupo muscular y cambiando la rutina todos los meses. Es mi humilde consejo!

<a href=http://download.cnet.com/Free-Youtube-Downloader-Pro/3000-2071_4-75329731.html >youtube downloader</a>
  • curtissav
    Options
    I went with the elliptical it better for the knees. :)
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Diet is about 80% of weight loss.
    Doing some cardio will help, but I'd probably recommend focusing more on weight training, while supplementing with some cardio if you enjoy it (rather than the other way around).

If I had to pick between treadmill and elliptical, I'd pick elliptical, if only for the decreased impact on joints. I personally can't stand the treadmill - I'd much rather run outdoors if I needed to run.

Also, have a look a HIIT rather than constant-paced exercise. It's been shown to provide much better results.
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had a treadmill and traded it in and got an elliptical. I love my elliptical. The treadmill is "powered" so you have to keep up with it where as the elliptical is under your power....so you put the energy into it. If that makes sense.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight training specifically?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. I like the elliptical for the low impact on joints and the fact that you can work your arms at the same time. Somehow it seems more fun that a treadmill! If you have any desire to be a runner then a treadmill is probably a better option and you can set the incline as well to simulate walking/running uphill. I have both and I have to admit I use the treadmill more often but I like running!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just joined a gym last week and had never been on an elliptical ever till last Friday. I did 25 minutes on the treadmill, 25 minutes on the stationery bike and 18 minutes on the ellipitcal. My hip was kinda sore the rest of the day and Saturday and I do believe it was from the ellipitcal. I have went back on Sunday and yesterday and will again today. I do know with the ellipitcal I got my heart rate up faster and quicker than the other two machines. You are using both your arms and legs is why I think. The ellipitcal is more challenging for me than the treadmill and a harder workout too.
    Good luck!
  • Beachbaby30
    Options
    It really is a matter of personal preference. I have an elliptical but much prefer a treadmill. I can stand only about 5 min. at a time on an elliptical but 30 min. or more on a treadmill. When I'm tired, (which is almost always), a treadmill is much more enticing to me than an elliptical. You have to enjoy doing the exercise, whatever it is you choose to do.
  • Staffygirl88
    Staffygirl88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i use both :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pullup bar >>>>> everything else
  • studentforlife
    studentforlife Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I personally used the elliptical when I first started going to the gym....however, I now exclusively use the treadmill... I just enjoy it more. do whichever you like more... as long as its an exercise you enjoy, is it wrong?
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    Diet is about 80% of weight loss.
    Doing some cardio will help, but I'd probably recommend focusing more on weight training, while supplementing with some cardio if you enjoy it (rather than the other way around).

If I had to pick between treadmill and elliptical, I'd pick elliptical, if only for the decreased impact on joints. I personally can't stand the treadmill - I'd much rather run outdoors if I needed to run.

Also, have a look a HIIT rather than constant-paced exercise. It's been shown to provide much better results.

I agree with his saying but i would say diet is 100% u can lose weight with no exersise and have callorie defict diet and lose weight im cutting doing no cardio on a callorie deficit diet lifting Heavy weights thats it
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I enjoy treadmill much more because I can get the "flow" while running. My mind wanders off and if I find the right pace it's totally like meditation. I am unable to achieve this on the elliptical, I am constantly focusing not to fall off :D
    (I may be doing something wrong though...)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Treadmill vs. elliptical - whichever you like better. Switch whenever you get bored, and try the different programs and doing some intervals (but probably not HIIT sprints on the treadmill unless you want to go flying off like that guy I saw at the gym the other day).

Weights - New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts 5x5 are both good beginner programs. If you don't feel like you're ready or don't have the equipment for those, google "beginner bodyweight workout" and just pick something you like that you can work the heck out of. Most will have the progressions and all laid out for you, so all you have to do is follow them until you're doing headstand pushups and one-armed pullups. :smile:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Outside if possible?

Lifting i would go with New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength.

Best of luck!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    switch it up...change is good...your body will get used to 1 thing & need the switch up...for weights, go slow and pace yourself...bodybuilding.com is helpful w/diet & exercise routines...good luck!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Are you buying? I would say treadmill. If you belong to a gym, its best to switch it up and do cardio in a variety of different forms.
  • sabgirls5
    Options
    I love both :)
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I switch up the elliptical and treadmill. If you have knee issues, the elliptical is a lot less impact :)

For strength training, I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I also highly recommend Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.

Good luck!
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well if you are starting off then I would start with the Treadmill and work your way up to the elliptical. If you are buying one then go for the elliptical. You can burn a lot more calories on the elliptical if you work your arms as well. I have an elliptical and I love it.