AM Workout Peeps: To Eat or Not to Eat?

Options
I've heard it helps burn more fat if you fast before an AM workout; today I was so hungry I only did 1/2 of my usual cardio. What do you guys/gals eat (if anything) before an AM Cardio session? I do 1 hour on the elliptical, intervals. I have ZERO time to cook; so it needs to be quick! Thanks!

Replies

• rugbygirlca
    Options
    For me it depends primarily on how long the time is between wake-up and training. If it is less than 30 minutes, I go on an empty stomach (or something very small such as 1/2 a banana). I generally get up at 5:00am and then train from 5:15 for 30-45 minutes 3 days a week and for 1 hour once a week. The hour long one is pretty instense as that is when my trainer abuses me with HIIT and free weights and I haven't noticed a difference between days I eat before or not. I know that I am hungry in the morning on days that I go hard, so I make sure to pack a good mid-morning snack.
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before exercising in the mornings, because I know it would just make me sick if I were to eat anything and then run on the treadmill.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My morning work out is @ 5am so I don't eat before hand. Even on the weekend, if it's right when I get up, then I go without eating. The only time I will eat before hand is if there is a couple hours before I'm going. If that's the case I try and have something light, especially if it's a cardio day.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    The benefit of fasted cardio is a myth and may in fact have a catabolic effect on your muscles.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do a 5:30 AM bootcamp, but rise 15 mins early to eat a little protein/carbs. It gets the metabolism rolling and ensures I have the energy/stamina to get through my workout. It is a fairly rigorous 1 hr HIIT program. Typically enjoy a slice of Ezekiel bread topped with a tblsp of peanut butter and banana slices beforehand.

After my workout- a protein shake typically.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I try to get something in my stomach before my am workout so I don't feel woozy. This morning I had a protein shake which carried me through quite nicely and beyond. Other mornings, I've had a small banana.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I hydrate with water, do an hour of cardio, eat a cereal or protein bar and then do an hour of strength training
    I don't like the feeling of anything sitting in my stomach when I'm movin' and groovin'
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I usually do not eat before I workout if it is within the first hour or so after I wake up.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've switched to fasted workouts in the morning, because I didn't see any difference when I did and it's just more convenient. But I do think the research supports eating first, and I still have the same thing for breakfast as I did when I ate before workouts - a smoothie that I make the night before with fruit, protein powder, juice, flax seed, & various spices. Takes no time, you just grab it and you can down the whole thing in under a minute if you want.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I personally feel LOUSY if I try to workout hard without having eaten. But, having said that, I would have serious issues with nausea if I tried to work out right after eating (unless it was something very light like dry toast and tea.
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted as soon as I getup, and drink only water. As soon as I'm done I hit a protein shake. I have on occasion worked out in the pm, but only before dinner
  • cholderer
    cholderer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually workout fasted but sometimes I eat later in the night so that may quell some of the hunger pains I would feel. If I do eat something it may be a couple of almonds or something that is small just because I do Insanity in the morning and if I eat too much right before I workout then I feel sluggish and my stomache gets queezy.