How many callories

Options
Hey there,

I have just lost my first ten pounds (woohoo!) my goal was 30 so I am a third of the way there.
Things are going really well, I am loosing 2-3 pounds a week even though my goals were set for 1. The site suggested that, after my first 10, I update my goals. So I did. It suggested I go from about 1,600 calories a day to 1,300.
This seems fishy to me. Do I trust it and assume this is because of some nutritional metabolism thing that I am unaware of? My impulse is to toss out the 1,300 and stay at 1,600 because I am having success there and 1,300 simply does not seem like enough. My body will burn 1,870 normally. Do I really need to be 500 under this to continue loosing weight?

I walk for 30 minutes every day, and I go to the gym for a harder work out at least 2 times a week. When I can I incorporate going dancing or yoga, and I keep my house pretty clean. I have been eating the calories I burn, and I do the 'eat above my goal' once a week thing - though I do not go past that 1,870 mark.

Those are my habits. I personally feel like a 500 calorie deficit is unhealthy, but I thought I'd seek some other opinions.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With 30 lbs to lose, 1 lb per week is a healthy goal, you can aim for 1/2 lb per week. If your goal was set to 1 lb but you are losing more, it's because you were probably exercise and NOT eating back the calories. If that is the case, you should start.

But I agree, if you see success at 1600 calories, stay with it.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Only way to know is to monitor your progress because that initial 1600 might be wrong.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    250-300 below actual TDEE.

Also, your first impulse is correct. Leave it! If you come to a point where you are not losing, then reassess.
  • darthmolly
    darthmolly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    With 30 lbs to lose, 1 lb per week is a healthy goal, you can aim for 1/2 lb per week. If your goal was set to 1 lb but you are losing more, it's because you were probably exercise and NOT eating back the calories. If that is the case, you should start.

I actually am eating my exercise calories. I try to never be more than 100 under my updated goal after exercise. I'm usually a bit above my goal, truth be told.

Thanks though - it is settling to hear someone agree.
  • darthmolly
    Options
    Only way to know is to monitor your progress because that initial 1600 might be wrong.

Good point
  • darthmolly
    Options
    250-300 below actual TDEE.

Also, your first impulse is correct. Leave it! If you come to a point where you are not losing, then reassess.

Ok - will do. Thanks everyone! That was helpful - I just needed to hear someone else say it was a good idea. @_@ lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I actually am eating my exercise calories. I try to never be more than 100 under my updated goal after exercise. I'm usually a bit above my goal, truth be told.

Thanks though - it is settling to hear someone agree.

If it makes you feel better, most women I know are losing at 1700-2100 calories. You can even probably up it and be fine.
  • rn000
    rn000 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stay at 1600. Mfp does not know your body as well as you do.myoure seeing results then stick with what you're doing!