Breastfeeding Mamas

Options
I need your help. How do you factor breastfeeding into all of this? I have an 11 week old who breastfeeds every 2-3 hours during the day. He is thankfully giving me longer stretches at night. Is there a way to edit my profile to reflect this caloric need? Everything I've read says I should be eating an additional 250 calories a day while nursing.

Replies

• MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am no longer BF and did not use this site when I was, so I have no advice except to keep eating healthy and drink LOTSSSSSSS of water!

I did type in "breastfeeding" in the find a group area and several different groups popped up. Maybe some ladies in those groups would be able to help you more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=breastfeeding
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    You can enter breastfeeding in your food diary. Search the database for breastfeeding and you'll get options ranging from exclusive breastfeeding to less feedings with an older baby. When you add the item to your diary, it goes in as negative calories adding to your allowance for the day.
  • jackiemommy123
    Options
    I am breastfeeding as well. I don't have a food diary section on my app?
  • aefallis
    aefallis Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I add in 500 calories. If you're exclusively breastfeeding I read you should eat an extra 500. For older babies who are given baby food or those who are also given formula its 300.

I've also read that breastfeeding burns 20 calories per ounce which would come up to more than 500 for an exclusive breastfed baby. I'm thinking that is for when you're just trying to keep up your supply and maintain your weight though.
  • FitMommy13
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I want to get in shape but do not want my supply to tank as a result. I'm currently exclusively breast feeding. I will see if I can add breast feeding onto my daily food log and see what happens.