Just Starting, Looking for breast Cancer Survivors

Options
Hi, I am looking for other Breast Cancer Survivors to talk with. I would love to here from you. whether its about weight loss after forced menapause , sexual problems with the hubby, Chemo brain, Exhaustion, and how hard it is to loose weight, and a bunch more. I am just starting out with this app and diet. Hopefully it will stick this time. All I really wish for is to live, to live a long healthy , happy life. Why is it so hard to do that. Why do I eat and eat and eat, when I know it ups my chance of the cancer returning? I am so scared of dieing. You would think that I would do everything in my power to prevent it. But I eat, drink, and sit on my butt. Why? Got to change this pattern, I somehow have to make it work. Iv'e got pull myself out of this hole. Sorry. Kinda being a debbie downer. Just hoping for some understanding support.

Replies

• conleeper
    Options
    That would be me, had breast cancer back in May of 2010, I'm doing fine now, sort of. I have no idea how to add you as a friend, but if you know how go right ahead, maybe we can talk in emails eventually.
  • she730
    she730 Posts: 4
    Options
    Just trying to get back on track with MFP. I am a 18 month breast cancer survivor (surgery was July 2011). I know your ups and downs. Luckily I did not have to go through chemo just lumpectomy and radiation. Unfortunately I was allergic to Tamoxifen and since I was pre-menopause I needed to be put in menopause to be able to take Arimidex, so now I also get a Lupron injection every 3 months to put my ovaries to sleep. My body has definitely changed through all of this and I need to get this under control. Maybe we can figure this out with a little help from some friends.
  • ChelleA65
    ChelleA65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In April 2011, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. 9 months later, I have been through an unsurmountable journey. To begin with, I had a double mascetomy. In late April, went back in the hospital with a horrible infections for two weeks. In June, I feel asleep with a heating pad, third degree burns- ended up having a skin graft. I had NO energy, could hardly get out of bed. They determined I was severely anemic. Starting on iron infusions. Then in late September, they found a polyp in my uterus. They removed it, new diagnosis.... uterine cancer. Had a complete hysterectomy in October. December 21... I had my implants put in. I am so ready to start 2013 off right. I would love to add you as a friend.
  • starofsea
    starofsea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also a breast cancer survivor, newly survived. I just stopped treatment in December and now have to pick up the pieces. I gained 16-20 during treatment. I had surgery, chemo, and radiation, and am taking taking meds. It's tough. Some women don't gain weight during this ordeal, but I did. I wish all my bc sisters the best of luck. The bc club is one that no one wants to join. Jeanne
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just been diagnosed with a rare form of breast cancer. Just had surgery January 15th, waiting for pathology report to see if I need chemo and radiation. Cathy
  • murielb44
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I had a mastectomy almost 6 years ago to the day and can identify with a lot of what's being said and a lot more besides!!! I was diagnosed in mid December 2006 and had my surgery in January 2007. I opted not to have a reconstruction or implant -I'm flat on one side!!
    I had only just returned to work after nearly 5 months off due to being diagnosed with ME - chronic fatigue and fybromyalgia.
    Did I have a good time...NO!
    Did I recover...YES! I got back to work after another year off due to effects of chemo, ME and medication. The tamoxifen was unbelievably difficult - you'd think I'd been drenched all the time, I sweated so much I had to keep towels with me -even at my desk. Eventually stopped taking it and tried several options which all had similar effects and stopped taking them too.
    Did I put on weight.....oh YES!
    By this time last year - Jan 12 - I had put on 30 pound which for someone who is only 5ft 2 inches, and already at the limits of an acceptable BMI, was not good.
    With the help of this site - after trying some other Diet Club options which cost a lot of money - I only have 8 pounds to go to be where I want to be - already lost 26 pounds. I feel great - I look great! It's been a long road but the most important road to travel is the one between your ears which sets the direction, speed and method for reaching your destination! Please do not give up. Losing exess weight is one of the best things you can do to support wellness in every area of your life. Just make sure that you give your body the best of the goodness in foods that you can...less processed and more fresh. That way you know exactly what you are eating.
    I wish you all well in your journey to recovery and if I can help then let me know.Take care and God Bless. Muriel.:flowerforyou:
  • kansasgal2
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello, I'm a breast cancer survivor (13 yrs) and struggle with my weight. I had chem, radiation and took tamoxafin. I sincerely have empathy about how you feeling the way you do.

I do want to be up forward of letting you know I am 61 yrs old and have struggled with my weight since cancer; however, I do have many other health issues making my weight lost extremely important to me. I will support you and give you encouragement. It is greatly something I need as well. Have hope, faith and trust in God. My prayers are with you and you can do it.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm a male breast cancer survivor. Surgery in late 2009 followed by chemo and rads. Still taking Tamoxifen. I truly believe that diet and exercise during and after treatment is a key to success. Let me know what I can do to help.
  • kansasgal2
    Options
    I understand. Stage II.
  • she730
    she730 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello everyone! Cathy I am praying for good news for you! I have worked out for what feels like all year and have made little progress with weight loss. I know I am my own obstacle and I must log my food and exercise. In 2 weeks the hubby and I are joining the local gym. My plan is to use their track and work my way up to running. Someday I would love to run a short marathon, something I've never told anyone. I usually have fruit for a snack, a lean cuisine for lunch and something low carb for dinner. I would love meal suggestions!
  • kristabn
    kristabn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I recently joined MFP and have been working on losing weight. I was interested to see if there were others in the MFP community who were dealing with the after effects of Breast Cancer and might be able to lend each other support. I was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer in April 2011, at the age of 40, when my 2nd child was only 9 months old. Had a single mastectomy, reconstruction, chemo, radiation, 3 more (so far) follow-up surgeries, and am now on Tamoxifen.

Through the ordeal I managed to add 20-25 pounds to my 5'5" frame. I never lost weight easily BC (before cancer), but was never really overweight either. Now I am struggling to lose these extra pounds and it seems so impossible sometimes. Who knew I would be in menopause at this age? Recently I began working with a nutritionist and have lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks. I'm trying to reduce my carb intake (love them) and pair more protein and fiber.

It would be great to stay in touch with some other survivors and motivate each other!
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    We have a B.C. support group here on MFP. I see you looked under groups and found us. There are 68 of us and our numbers are growing. Thank you for joining us - we offer each other support, encouragement and dieting help.
  • kcagneta
    Options
    Hi there! I just started MFP a week ago b/c my Oncologist noted I had "significant weight gain" from my last check up 6 months ago. Duh.

I was diagnosed in 2008 at age 30 with Stage 2, Er/Pr+, Her2/neu+ and BRCA2+. Did radical double mastectomy, chemo, herceptin, bi lateral oophorectomy , full reconstruction and have 1 year left of tamoxifen.

I do reformer pilates and work out with a personal trainer but I have still gained almost 40 lbs since my diagnosis. I get so frustrated b/c nothing i do even helps me maintain. Hope this program helps. I'm glad to find women who can relate to the struggles of breast cancer weight. My family and friends have no idea what it's like although they try to be as supportive as possible. ~ k.c.
  • andread67
    andread67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can relate..I'm a member of the club no one wants to be a member of. I had a double mastectomy almost a year ago..time flies when your having fun:noway: Anyway, because I had such a high risk on my moms side..the number of relatives with breast cancer is ridiculous..I decided it best to go radical. It was a very good thing, because when the path report came back, I actually had the very beginning of changes in the un-affected side. So here I am, almost a yr later and more overweight than I could ever have imagined. I have one more reconstructive surgery, but I'm waiting to try to lose the wt first.
    One of my first questions is does anyone else have the flabby skin under your arms and side like where the side of your bra fits..I don't like the way it looks at all, I want to wear sleeveless tops or a bathing suit and not feel so insecure with how that looks. Sorry if this sounds vain, I guess I had great hopes of looking much better. The most important thing is that we are here! There can be great success and support where we can be realistic, truthful and helpful in understanding each others situations. I'm 45, sounds like there are quite a few others who are moms (and dads too..lets not forget the guys =)..) with young kids. I don't think there is EVER a good age to get this though..it sucks..but I have to say, I have had to reach deeper within to find a strength I didn't know I had. Having God and a bunch of people who "loved me thru it" have also been a tremendous source of strength also. I plan to use that strength to get me back to a healthy wt again.
    C'mon ya'll...lets kick cancers butt!!!:happy: Please add me...