Two weeks in, I need advice!!

Options
Can anyone with some success check out my diary and see if I am doing this correct. I want to lose weight, I want to be healthy, I want to be strong...I just don't know if I am doing this right!! I'm starting to feel discouraged but keep telling myself to keep it up...but I don't want to keep up on doing it the wrong way! Please and Thank you!

Replies

• heyjay31
    heyjay31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Feel free to "friend" me as well...I need all the support I can get!
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Hi send me a friend request and i'll see if i can help :)
  • angie2673
    Options
    Hi! Are you drinking water? I do not see this record in your diary.
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It looks like you like snacks... You might consider making more "meal" categories and logging when you're eating those snack to better see what parts of the day that you're concentrating all of your calories.

Personally, if you're really wanting good nutrition, I would add a few more nutrient categories to keep watch over (vitamins, minerals, fiber, sugar, sodium...). If you use the app, it's easy to use the "daily" tab at the top to look at where you are in all your nutrient categories. You can also click the pie chart graph image to see what balance of carbs vs. fat vs. protein that you are eating.

And I don't know if you log exercise, but you should consider being active! Even if it's just going outside for a 20 min walk a day, it can help boost mood, decrease appetite, and help you shed weight faster. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What particular problems are you currently having? From a calorie standpoint, it looks like you're doing ok...and eating back at least some of your exercise calories (though if you feel that your burns logged are pretty accurate, you may want to eat more of them back).

Two weeks isn't very long...remember, you're talking about 1-2 Lbs per week on avg as a general trend over a period of time...like weeks and months. It can be difficult to measure success on the scale for the first few weeks simply because loss is slow and weight fluctuates...it's not linear by any stretch of the imagination.

Just to give you an example...as of my last weigh in, I was 189.5 (that was this past Friday)...but throughout this coming week I can tell you that I will fluctuate by 1.5-2 Lbs from that either way. I weight in every morning and I've seen this throughout the entire time I've been doing MFP and it's a natural occurrence.

While I only do one "official" weight in (Friday mornings) I do track daily so I can plot my data points and look at the trend over a longer period of time. Last Thursday I was weighed in at 188.8...Friday morning I weighed in at 189.5...Monday morning I weighed in at 193 and this morning I weighed in at 191 (no I didn't lose 2 fat Lbs overnight just as I didn't gain 3.5-4 fat Lbs over the weekend). If this trend continues as it has since I started, I should be in the neighborhood of 188.5 Lbs Friday morning and I would imagine that I'll have at least one weigh in this week where I'm somewhere between 187.5 and 188.
  • heyjay31
    Options
    I was an huge sweet tea and mt. dew drinker. I now, sometimes, have one diet mt dew in the morning and then water the rest of the day, at least 10 glasses! I am extremely active. Using the treadmill, ellipitical, stretching, and weight training 6 days a week. I have 3 kids, I sit maybe 25 minutes a day tops. I am trying to figure the diet thing out, I am eating lean proteins and fresh veggies. My snacks have been speical k cereal with almond milk, cottage cheese and fruit, some pretzels, or a granola bar. I am measuring portions and sticking to the 1200 calorie diet and eating back some of my burned calories. My bmr is 1500 something, so I don't know if I should switch to that or not. So far this is a huge difference...I just don't know what else or how!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Jacie87 has pretty much hit the nail on the head, but one thing I would add is to get rid of that diet mt. dew in the morning. Even though there are no calories in it, sugars and sugar substitutes can increase your appetite. They do this by causing your body to release insulin. Which in turn can cause you to gain weight (there are a lot of studies on this, some say what I said others say it has no effect).
    If you want the soda for the caffeine, try drinking tea in the morning. Depending on the variety of tea and how long you steep it, it can have more caffeine then the soda. There are a lot of health benefits to tea, and most teas are zero calories as well.
  • heyjay31
    Options
    I am not currently having issues, I just want to make sure that I am doing this the right way!!