In college and in need of some good advice

Options
Hey guys im a college student and im trying to stay healthy, but at the same time i have a budget and cant always keep everything healthy in the house. Dont get me wrong i have food in the house but some of it is unhealthy from the roomates and im just so tired of baked chicken with bbq sauce and green beans or oatmeal while they have oreos and chips and dip....i can say that im proud of myself though. I haven't ate fast food in at least 3 months and have been cooking at home, but im running out of ideas for cheap healthy foods.....can anyone help before i go off the deep end!?

Replies

• ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about not being able to keep the produce stocked, you could instead buy canned fruit and vegetables...try to look for those that have no extra sugar added and/or lower sodium.

I'm in college also and I know it can be hard to eat healthy while on a budget, but it's so worth it! Buy frozen chicken in bulk, buy bread and freeze it if you don't use it often and don't want it to go bad, buy yogurt since it will keep for a while...etc. Try to think of healthy alternatives to fresh produce if you can't make it or afford to go to the grocery store frequently.

And as for your roommates, don't worry about them! You are on the right track, and you'll feel a lot happier and healthier than they will if you keep doing what you're doing! :)
  • Alliewe
    Alliewe Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you for the help! I'll deffinantly be making my way to the canned and frozen section next time!!
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    May be worth exploring whether there is a market near you. We've a local veg market which is waaaaay cheaper than the supermarket and its all healthy. Quick stir fry with some Worcestershire sauce and whatever they have going... Yum and different every time!
  • Whisper236
    Options
    Frozen or canned fruit and vegetables are a nice way to go. They'll last longer and usually cheaper. I also buy generic instead of name brand, and I try to see the grocery ads to see about sales. I know it's really hard to eat healthy on a college budget. I hope this helps you :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hey guys im a college student and im trying to stay healthy, but at the same time i have a budget and cant always keep everything healthy in the house. Dont get me wrong i have food in the house but some of it is unhealthy from the roomates and im just so tired of baked chicken with bbq sauce and green beans or oatmeal while they have oreos and chips and dip....i can say that im proud of myself though. I haven't ate fast food in at least 3 months and have been cooking at home, but im running out of ideas for cheap healthy foods.....can anyone help before i go off the deep end!?

Loads of threads on this if you run a search.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Two Words:

CHICKEN THIGHS

Yes they are a little bit fattier than chicken breasts-but not by much, but they are way cheaper freeing up money to be spent elsewhere, and I think they taste better and are more easily prepared and versatile. And if you cook a big batch they are friendlier to using as left overs. I braise a whole bunch then eat as is, maybe throw some into a soup with some veggies, season and reheat and make a quesadilla, throw some in my eggs and make an omelet, grind it up with some potato and make a chicken patty for a sandwhich.