apple cores and other commonly discarded foods

Options

Replies

• Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    Cauliflower leaves are totally edible: http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2012/05/cauliflower-leaf-pakoras-recipe-indian.html?m=1

If you don't want to batter and fry, try slicing the tough ribs out and just sautéing with garlic
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    You would have to eat a ton of apple seeds to poison yourself.

Not as many as one might think...........about a half cup would be lethal to the average grown man.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Compost shmompost, I want my tasty tasty refuse.

Go ahead and be my guest...........I will continue composting to feed my garden.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You would have to eat a ton of apple seeds to poison yourself.

Far less than a ton, I am afraid. If you happen to swallow one or two by accident, you won't die. But eat more than that and you are in deep, deep trouble.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I compost it or give it to my chickens. I can blend the cores into my smoothies but I have found the seeds can leave a bitter after taste. It's not good to get too many apple seeds because they contain cyanide. In small doses your body can break it down no problem but it's not something you're going to want to consume regularly.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have been eating apple cores since I was a child, I even nibble the stalk too! I'm absolutely fine, *twitch, twitch*
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have five hens and two dogs, rarely does anything end up in our trash bin. I feed apples to my horses but only rarely and never with the cores, since they can make the horses sick. When I was a little girl, we had a horse die that got out of its pasture and into a neighboring crab apple orchard. It ate so many that it got cyanide poisoning and died (it might have foundered and died later even without the cyanide due to the sudden introduction of so many apples into its system). That was a 1100 pound draft horse in one afternoon. I can only imagine the effects on a 100-200 pound human.
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I feed these things to my chickens. They eat most of it, the rest they scratch into lovely compost which I use on my garden. Then they produce lovely eggs with dark orange yolks, the shells of which I will grind up and feed back to them as calcium supplementation. We also do the vinegar citrus cleaner.

^^^
    that's what we do, too :)
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    When we had chickens, they got all the scraps, and the eggs were Devine.

These days its compost.

Once i get a Vitamix though, all the greens will becoming blended. Only the Cores, Skins, Shells ext will be going into the garden.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Isn't it not healthy to eat apple cores because of the seeds?

It IS HEALTHY to eat apple cores... because of the seeds! Seeds of apples, pears, apricots, etc. contain a minute bit of cyanide in them, which helps you to fight cancers. Many who practice holistic natural eating and cures see the benefit in eating them.

You'll get all kinds of people on both sides of the argument, but for those of us who believe in God's word, we remember that in Genesis He said that the seeds of all fruits were good for eating. Happy seed eating, folks.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When I cut up a pineapple I always leave the core on the wedges. It's often the sweetest part, tho' harder to chew-- maybe contains more fiber. In any case, I hate wasting any of my pineapple!
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For vegtables i have a ziplock bag in the freezer all of the throw away stuff go into it until the next time I make soup and use it for stock

For nightly vegetables that there just isn't much left of them they go into another bag for the actual soup.

Fruit I have nothing.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I know of a lot of raw vegans that juice then dehydrate the pulp and make "burgers" and crackers and such. Kind of the same deal here. Maybe throwing all that stuff in a food processor and then baking it into something or dehydrating could work.
  • grassette
    Options
    Isn't it not healthy to eat apple cores because of the seeds?

It IS HEALTHY to eat apple cores... because of the seeds! Seeds of apples, pears, apricots, etc. contain a minute bit of cyanide in them, which helps you to fight cancers. Many who practice holistic natural eating and cures see the benefit in eating them.

You'll get all kinds of people on both sides of the argument, but for those of us who believe in God's word, we remember that in Genesis He said that the seeds of all fruits were good for eating. Happy seed eating, folks.

Bad advice. God gave us a brain to be able to figure things out. This kind of ignorance is very dangerous. There are so many things out there that will give you a horrible, nasty death, including the unedible parts of plants we grow for food.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I always eat the core...for 2 reasons

1 - There's still plenty of healthy, tasty apple in the core - why let it go to waste?
    2 - I can't be bothered finding a bin to put the core in :laugh:
  • kelbeldance
    kelbeldance Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Composting is a great way to "use" the pieces you would normally discard. My garden loves all of the compost :)
  • futurestarz
    Options
    I always eat the apple core...whoops!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    You can use the stems of herbs to flavor rice or other grains.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Apple core seeds contain cyanide. There is a documented case in Kingsbury's Poisonous Plants of North America (a key reference) of a man who liked apple seeds, saved himself a cup full, ate them and died.

I eat the whole apple and I'm 45 and still alive :)

The pits of common fruits are frequently poisonous, as are parts of the plant that we don't eat. Rhubarb leaves, for example. Again in Kingsbury, a documented case of a woman who fried some up, ate them and died. In the same category are the parts of the potato plant that are not tubers, and tomato plants.

IF you are going to eat like this, please research your plants to make sure that you are not ingesting something deadly.

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Poisonous_plants_of_the_United_States_an.html?id=-kNtAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

I just checked your profile and see that you are from Australia. Kingsbury would still be useful in checking out the parts of plants commonly eaten as food that are toxic. It is an exhaustive list of plants toxic to the Americas, but there are no doubt just as good references to Australian plants that you might be putting on your plate.
  • grassette
    Options
    Apple core seeds contain cyanide. There is a documented case in Kingsbury's Poisonous Plants of North America (a key reference) of a man who liked apple seeds, saved himself a cup full, ate them and died.

I eat the whole apple and I'm 45 and still alive :)

The pits of common fruits are frequently poisonous, as are parts of the plant that we don't eat. Rhubarb leaves, for example. Again in Kingsbury, a documented case of a woman who fried some up, ate them and died. In the same category are the parts of the potato plant that are not tubers, and tomato plants.

IF you are going to eat like this, please research your plants to make sure that you are not ingesting something deadly.

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Poisonous_plants_of_the_United_States_an.html?id=-kNtAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

I just checked your profile and see that you are from Australia. Kingsbury would still be useful in checking out the parts of plants commonly eaten as food that are toxic. It is an exhaustive list of plants toxic to the Americas, but there are no doubt just as good references to Australian plants that you might be putting on your plate.

Well, now you know better. So if you eat apple seeds you do it with full knowledge of their toxicity.

Ditto for cherry pits (including pin cherries and choke cherries where the pits are strained out before you make jam), and peach and apricot pits. The extention departments of many universities have posted to the web all kinds of documentation on the toxicity of common plants. While reading Kingsbury is a real eye-opener (over 1500 pages of detailed case studies of poisonings in the USA and Canada), there is a lot of well sourced information on the web.

I read Kingsbury's fascinating books after taking a canoe-trip with a botanist in order to find out what could be eaten in the wild---very little as it turned out. Some things can only be eaten after being boiled in 3 changes of water to reduce the poisons to a tolerable level. One of her recommendations on avoiding bad information was to make sure that books on eating in the wild always included Kingbury in their bibliographies. It was good advice, as I later encountered books who recommended eating things for which there was documented evidence as to their toxicity. Kingsbury's book also includes vegetables and house plants.