Accuracy of workout machines

Options
Does anyone know how accurate the calorie counters are on the workout machines in the gym? I usually use the elliptical or one of the bikes and the bike always says I burn way more calories than the elliptical for the same amount of time but I feel like the bike is easier...

Replies

• juditanne
    juditanne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i have found they are not accurate at all. i can be on the elliptical for 35min and the machine will read a little over 350 calories burned, but a heart monitor will tell me 500+.

invest in a nice heart monitor!

also, it isn't all about calories sometimes. time is the best count.
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have just the opposite story. The machine will tell me I've burned 350 calories but according to my HRM I've only burned 270. I've always found them to give me more calories burned than actual.
  • kbillings4522
    Options
    How accurate do you think MFP is when you put in how long you worked out? It doesn't usually match what the machine says.

I'm thinking a HRM is going to be a good idea to get a better idea of what I am actually getting out of going to the gym .
  • juditanne
    Options
    How accurate do you think MFP is when you put in how long you worked out? It doesn't usually match what the machine says.

i have found it to be a lot closer to the HRM than the machine count. the most i have seen it being off is ~20 calories.
  • juditanne
    Options
    I have just the opposite story. The machine will tell me I've burned 350 calories but according to my HRM I've only burned 270. I've always found them to give me more calories burned than actual.

hmmm.. maybe cause we are different in weight? i don't know.

my roommate's is pretty accurate for her as well.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Not very ...

I can't use a HRM due to medication. I work out hard, and I always work on the basis that I burn 200 calories for every 30 minutes worked (treadmill not included).