What will it take to get here??

Options
Height 5'8"
SW 210
CW 146
GW ???

First pic is just to show how far I've already come. Next two pics are current. I'd love to to know how to get to the third and fourth pictures. I know these girls are around 5'8" and between 140-120. I don't want a 6 pack, I just want to be firmer/more toned like them. I want to feel comfortable in a bikini by June. Do you think it's possible? I'm willing to do the gym 4 days a week with some at home stuff as well. I have good and bad days with my diet. Any advice on a work-out routine would be awesome. Thanks!

Neveragain1_zps8ec08df5.jpg
before1-22-2_zps99dcb0e0.jpg
before1-22_zpsc71503b5.jpg
futureme2_zpsc8db90c3.jpg
futureme1_zpsda5d7940.jpg

Replies

• DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Height 5'8"
    SW 210
    CW 146
    GW ???

First pic is just to show how far I've already come. Next two pics are current. I'd love to to know how to get to the third and fourth pictures. I know these girls are around 5'8" and between 140-120. I don't want a 6 pack, I just want to be firmer/more toned like them. I want to feel comfortable in a bikini by June. Do you think it's possible? I'm willing to do the gym 4 days a week with some at home stuff as well. I have good and bad days with my diet. Any advice on a work-out routine would be awesome. Thanks!

Lift.... and lift heavy!
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Height 5'8"
    SW 210
    CW 146
    GW ???

Neveragain1_zps8ec08df5.jpg
    before1-22-2_zps99dcb0e0.jpg
    before1-22_zpsc71503b5.jpg
    futureme2_zpsc8db90c3.jpg
    futureme1_zpsda5d7940.jpg

I'd love to know how to get there too !! I just sent you a friend request, lol
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I will Friend you! I've gotten incredible results from some at-home programs. My profile pic right now is from a program I did at home :)
  • sarahbethbeauty
    Options
    So I just go to the gym, grab a machine, and push it as hard as a can for as long as I can? Or are we talking free weights? I'm guessing I should have some sort of routine i.e. legs one day, arms the next...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    strength training. dead lifts, squats, chest press, and over head press should become the core of your routine. HIIT runs too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    So I just go to the gym, grab a machine, and push it as hard as a can for as long as I can? Or are we talking free weights? I'm guessing I should have some sort of routine i.e. legs one day, arms the next...

i'd suggest you pick up the book, "new rules of lifting for women."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I 100% guarantee that the girls in those last 2 pics lift and they lift heavy...as in heavier weight, less reps. I'd also bet my bottom dollar that they have a routine very similar to Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or some other heavy lifting derivative. These types of routines are generally for more simple than most novice lifters can even wrap their heads around, but they produce the best results and have been proven to do so since, well...pretty much since the beginning of weight lifting.

These routines are generally an A workout and B workout that are done 3 times weekly switching between the A & B...assistance work and isolation work is really unnecessary for the novice...assistance becomes more beneficial as you start to plateau (well down the road) and honestly, I haven't figured out what isolation work is good for other than spending a bit more time in the gym. Here's an example of what my WIFE (yes, my feminine and lovely wife) and I both do currently, note that these are all performed to the point of being pretty much out of gas before moving on to the next exercise...thus, it's heavy and relative to the experience and strength of the lifter:

Workout A:

Squat 3x5
    Overhead press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Wourkout B:

Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Barbell Rows 3x5 (we should really be doing power cleans, but we're pretty intimated by them...I think we're going to make an appointment with a trainer to show us how do power cleans properly, but until then, the barbell rows will suffice...they are generally considered an assistance exercise)

Note that those sets do not include our warm up sets...but even with warm up sets, work sets, and then a good cool down, we're usually in and out in an hour.
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would love to get to where you are now! for the summer
  • sarahbethbeauty
    Options

Thanks! Did it the old MFP way, calories in/calories out...with a little family stress thrown in there.

Should I still be doing cardio everyday?
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Thanks! Did it the old MFP way, calories in/calories out...with a little family stress thrown in there.

Should I still be doing cardio everyday?

I wish family stress would help me lose weight but sadly it makes me put weight on :-(
    I'd say yes aswell as squats, sit-ups, some weights.
    Have you tried Zumba?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Based on the second set of photos, you're going to have to recomp - adjust your body composition so you end up with increased lean body mass and decreased fat mass. I say this because, in these photos, you seem to have below average lean body mass - which may have been lost during the diet process - for your build.

It's up to you, but you may look into doing short cycles (two to three months) of bulks and cuts to increase lean body mass until you are satisfied with your final product.