Vegetarian Sources of Iron

Options
So, for my Research Project (something for school - independent research type thing, really hard to explain), I've decided to choose the topic of maintaining an adequate intake while living a vegetarian lifestyle.

As I'm anemic and my mum detests me avoiding meat, I thought this would be a good topic to begin my transition into hopeful vegetarianism.

To give my research some evidence I've decided to utilize my MFP profile and aim to meet at least 90-100% of my daily iron needs for one month while abstaining from animals. I can still eat eggs and milk and all that jazz, just not the actual animal itself.

My question to all the vegans/vegetarians is how do you get your iron?

I've begun taking spirulina tablets (which have some iron in them), and I have a big bottle of blackstrap molasses in the cupboard that I'm hoping to use. Any and all comments are welcome, thanks.

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is a source. Unfortunately, the best source of iron is beef.
  • tishka11
    Options
    The best way is to just take a supplement. It will in the end usually work out cheaper anyway and that way you dont have to worry about it and can just focus on foods that are well balanced and delicious

If youre aneamic, go for one called FerroGrad-C ... i take it and my blood iron levels are always great! It is the highest dose of iron you can get, better than getting one of the iron brands like Natures Own, or Blackmores, and it contains vitamin C which helps iron be absorbed

However - things you should know about iron (in general) and iron tablets - you shouldnt take them around times that you are drinking tea as the tannins in the tea leaves stop iron being absorbed, also avoid taking them when you have foods high in multigrains, soy products (unless fermented ie soy milk is ok), coffee to some extent....basically i would recommend taking them at night and with a vitamin c product either something like orange juice or vitamin c tablets to help it be absorbed. You may hear its better to take them with food but thtas generally just as it can, in rare circumstances, make you feel sick on an empty stomach, but thats unlikely so ita a lot easier to take them just before bed when it shouldnt be interfered with by foods or drinks you consume
    Hope that helps!
  • tishka11
    Options
    Otherwise a good option are things like fortified cereals and milks and other products designed for vegetarians and vegans

Most products have the iron levels quite dramatically increased so that it makes it easier for vegetarians. Eg some soy milks provide a third of the iron needs in just one serve, as well as upping things like calcium and folate

So if you want a more 'natural' option than supplements perhaps these types of things?
  • xoxerinxox
    Options
    I take a multivitamin with iron just in case, but I eat a lot of spinach which usually boosts my iron intake :)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Beans
    Greens
    Tofu
    Legumes
    Veg soups
    Almonds
    Cashews
    Sunflower Seeds
    Pepitas
    To name a few standards
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over 2 years now and have to keep a very close eye on my iron because my Crohns can easilly make me anemic (i had to get 6 iron infusions in January 2011). I don't suggest iron supplements unless your doctor has told you that you need them-excessive iron is very dangerous, especially in children (plus iron supplements can cause failry severe constipation). Women need twice as much iron as men. Good sources of iron are oats, kale, quinoa, broccoli, fortified cereals, some veggie meat products (i looooove Gardein brand) & blackstrap molasses. To absorb as much iron as possible, it's best to eat iron with vitamin c (like adding strawberries to you oatmeal).
  • Aventuria
    Aventuria Posts: 151
    Options
    Adding to the post above: kale, spinach, bok choy, pak choy and most of all: milo! :-)
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Additional sources: Seaweed (nori, wakame, etc.), blackstrap molasses (Plantation's blackstrap molasses has a huge amount).
  • impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Just today I managed to hide some iron in my mornings oats - molasses, cinnamon, honey, topped with yogurt and strawberries and blueberries! Most filling breakfast in ages, plus over 50% of my iron needs!

I'll keep the suggestions under my belt, they're definitely going to come in handy!
  • foodcart
    foodcart Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The hemp protein powder I use has a good deal of iron: Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein -- 40% daily recommended value
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    cereals, spinach black chick peas, vitamin tablets. I am not joking but Indian Mums cook in iron pans when they are vegetarian because during the cooking process it leaches out. The posh powder coated ones are no good because the iron is not exposed.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Tofu, lentils, leafy greens, some whole grains, Cream of Wheat (amazingly PACKED with iron, believe it or not), beans.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, and raisin bran. Make sure to pair these foods with something high in vitamin C to help absorb the iron better. Cooking with a cast iron pan is also a good way to get more iron.