Calorie Counting and the Flu

Options
I need some advice. I have the flu. Yay -.- I started feeling sick on Friday, but it's getting worse now. For the past few days I've been fine with my routine. I eat then log on and track it. Today though, I have no appetite. I will be doing nothing but sitting here in my chair (I would lay in bed but sinuses are so backed up that I can't breath laying down.) So my question is: Should I put everything on hold for now? Obviously I won't be working out today, but should I just focus on rest and not worry about tracking my calories? Or do you guys think that I should track what I eat while I'm sick even if it's not much?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I would track, but not worry about being under calories.
  • d8402l
    d8402l Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My diary is only open to friends, but I read a lot of threads where people are basically getting reprimanded by strangers for not eating enough calories. So, while it's not great motivation, it does make me think about what I'm doing and eating. I just wasn't sure what to do being sick. I really appreciate the reply.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of peanut butter and nuts. It's an easy way to get you calories in. It's good to eat at maintenance when your sick to help your body heal itself. Eat as much as you can.
  • d8402l
    d8402l Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Peanut butter is a good idea, I didn't think of that. My lack of appetite today is twofold, one I just don't feel like eating, and two my throat hurts so bad that anything more solid than a banana is too painful to swallow.
  • jennfer71
    jennfer71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and log if you feel up to it. You can put a "sick day disclaimer" in the food notes section of your diary. Might even be entertaining to see who congratulates you for being under calorie goal when it pops up on news feed versus who really cared enough to go in and read your logging for the day. ;). Feel better soon and get your rest!
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Peanut butter is a good idea, I didn't think of that. My lack of appetite today is twofold, one I just don't feel like eating, and two my throat hurts so bad that anything more solid than a banana is too painful to swallow.

You should get tested for strep throat. I'm just getting over a bad case of it. You might need antibiotics.