Too fat for graduation robes - help :(

Options
So i went and picked up my graduation robes at college today, I graduate on Monday, so I was really looking forward to the ceremony and everything. Once I got home, I tried the robe on, and...it doesn't fit. I'm too fat.

Does anybody have any ideas of what to do, to either lose inches by Monday, or make the gown fit me? Is there something I can buy that will make me appear slimmer so it might fit?

Please help!

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Thats obviously to soon to lose the weight, so maybe you could try some kind of corset, or suck you in fully body underwear? Depends how much to small it is I guess.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    first of all have confidence in yourself - you have graduated that is the most impt thing. Just wear black and white. Smart hair and shoes. If you look crisp and clean and smart then your weight will not matter in a big floaty gown, if you have paid to hire it they should have given you a good fit.

If it still bothers you then do not worry because you are probably more bothered by it then anybody else.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    A seamstress (or whatever the male equivalent would be called) would seem the most fool proof idea.

You could probably drop a lot of water weight with diuretics, or by going to a sauna. It won't stay off, but might get you through the day.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    first of all have confidence in yourself - you have graduated that is the most impt thing. Just wear black and white. Smart hair and shoes. If you look crisp and clean and smart then your weight will not matter in a big floaty gown, if you have paid to hire it they should have given you a good fit.

If it still bothers you then do not worry because you are probably more bothered by it then anybody else.

Call student affairs. With what education costs, they should be able to supply you with a gown that fits,and this cannot have been the first time they didn't have the correct size in stock.

If the company that is supplying them can't find you a bigger one, then I'd go with what bearwith said -- wear something the same color as the gown and leave it open.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Spanx. Seriously. The Target brand (ASSETS, made by Spanx) is good and affordable, if you have Target where you are. I've used a good pair of Spanx to get me just a leeeetle more breathing room in a formal gown for one evening.

Congratulations on graduating!
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Is it just a little bit small, or there's-no-way too small? When I really need to smush things into place, I wear one size too small compression shorts and hike them up past my waist, then layer a long spandex cami over that. That usually wins me a couple inches, but it's not super comfortable.

I wish I were near you so I could loan you one!! Congrats on graduating though! What a great achievement.
  • skinnybinside
    skinnybinside Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just leave the robe open...wear something nice underneath and take lots of pics so when you do lose the weight,,and you will..you can look back at the pics and see how far you've come!! Its only a robe...its only one day...its only one hurtle in this journey your on...You are graduating..you ROCK!!!
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congrats on graduating!

I'd call the school or the supply company and ask them if they have a bigger size - that's what I had to do and they did accomodate. There's no reason why you should have to compromise and be uncomfortable by squeezing into something that's too small on such a great day.
  • ktmnly1992
    Options
    It's probably a couple of inches too small, I tried it, and I can get the zip to meet if I try over my hips, but there's no way, I'd have to compress everything from hips, waist, stomach and boobs. Do you think if I got some material that matches that colour I could maybe undo the seams at the sides and add a few inches? I dunno if that would work though :-/
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Is it a lot too tight or just a little? Some good spanx or other foundation garments can help. Wear something light underneath - no thick sweaters or anything.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's probably a couple of inches too small, I tried it, and I can get the zip to meet if I try over my hips, but there's no way, I'd have to compress everything from hips, waist, stomach and boobs. Do you think if I got some material that matches that colour I could maybe undo the seams at the sides and add a few inches? I dunno if that would work though :-/

It'll work but get it done by a professional if you can so it's not noticeable. I had to do that to a lab coat I had to wear for work - the largest was a size 14. I was a 28. Yeah...Did. Not. Fit. Luckily it was white so I didnt have to look hard for material. My mom was a steamstress so she did the alterations for me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Maybe get some matching fabric - undo the seems and sew in an extra little panel on the sides?
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    A seamstress (or whatever the male equivalent would be called) would seem the most fool proof idea.

*Tailor* :drinker:
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY TRY SPANX!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1) Ask the school if there's any way to order a larger size and have it by Monday. They may be able to exchange it.

2) If that doesn't work, find a tailor or seamstress and ask if they can open up the side seams. This should be very easy since they don't have to mess with the arms. It's like adding a gore to a skirt. I do this all the time. It's SUPER easy. Trust me. Heck, I'd do it if I lived near you.

3) If the tailor or seamstress can't do it by Monday, go to some place like this (http://www.academicapparel.com/) and order a new one. Check eBay and Craigslist first, though, and ask if they can use Priority or Express shipping. I assume your graduation gown is black? If so, that should make it even easier.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Check with a seamstress ASAP and explain the rush. They have done miracles for my daughters in short time (you pay for it though). They are so good, you won't even be able to tell they altered it.
  • exquisitecadavre
    Options
    When I graduated I had to get a bigger size. Try speaking to the company you got it from. For me I went to the campus bookstore and they had larger sizes on hand.

Try asking! If that doesn't work--spanx are good too. =]

And congrats on graduating!!
  • ktmnly1992
    Options
    1) Ask the school if there's any way to order a larger size and have it by Monday. They may be able to exchange it.

2) If that doesn't work, find a tailor or seamstress and ask if they can open up the side seams. This should be very easy since they don't have to mess with the arms. It's like adding a gore to a skirt. I do this all the time. It's SUPER easy. Trust me. Heck, I'd do it if I lived near you.

3) If the tailor or seamstress can't do it by Monday, go to some place like this (http://www.academicapparel.com/) and order a new one. Check eBay and Craigslist first, though, and ask if they can use Priority or Express shipping. I assume your graduation gown is black? If so, that should make it even easier.

I checked to see if it would be possible to get the sides opened, it doesn't have side seams :( its all one piece of fabric going all the way round. If it was black I would definitely try eBay, but it's royal blue. :(
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Going on what everyone else said, the issue really is if its a smidge too small or way too small. Do you have to keep it closed? At my graduation we got the robes on the day, just got a wee card on what degree we were graduating in. but none of the robes had buttons to close them or anything, just a loop to keep the hood on. Check the dress code, and if its black then if the robes are a wee bit too small then you can wing it with the robes open?
    If not seamstress? or whomever is supplying the robes should be able to accomodate. I would phone them and find out.

Most important thing? You can lose weight, no matter what size you are at graduation, you are graduating, don't let this ruin your day. Dont freak out and dont get upset. Everyone on this website can tell you how worth it you are to wear those robes in the first place, and how proud your family and friends will be.
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Awee I'm sorry Hun :( .... Okay this is what we'll do --- Look at it as an opportunity to work even harder and eat ever smarter to get into that graduation robe of yours don't view it as a negative see the positive girl ~~ Just imagine how good you'll feel when you look lighter and drop dead georgeous you will fit into it perfectly :) .... What' Do You Say!?! ... I'll do it with you I'll be your workout buddy every day .... :)