Can someone help me with how to figure calories in a recipe?

Options
Ive been doing pretty good watching my calories and tracking them as well.....as long as there is a bar code!
How you calculate calories for a recipe? What is the most accurate way to do it?
take each ingredient?
For example, im making fried burritos (sounds bad I know, but I dont really "fry" them)
I use ground turkey, Spanish rice, re fried beans, and a tortilla shell....roll it up and heat it up on each side for a few seconds in canola oil.
Would I just take each ingredient? Would that be accurate?
Thank you!
p.s. i'm always looking for new friends that I can connect with to inspire,,guide and motivate! :)

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Use the Recipes tab.
  • lisam625
    lisam625 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I moved it over there.

Use the Recipes tab.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Click the food tab.
    Click the recipes tab.
    Click the enter new recipe button.
    Enter the ingredients and how many people it served and MFP will automatically calculate how many calories per serving.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Go to the food section and clock on recipes and then do it from there. It takes time but is worth it for your common foods.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Click the food tab.
    Click the recipes tab.
    Click the enter new recipe button.
    Enter the ingredients and how many people it served and MFP will automatically calculate how many calories per serving.

^^^^^This! It's my favorite feature here!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I moved it over there.

Use the Recipes tab.

She didn't mean you should move your post over to the "recipe forum", she meant use the recipe tab, as in build a recipe by entering your ingredients.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they said.

But please do not add your recipe to the food database, since it will be only useful to yourself. :smile:
  • lisam625
    lisam625 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yup, just figured that out. My bad. Brand new at this and still learning the site.
    I think I am going to love the recipe tab!!!
    thanks!

Thanks!
    I moved it over there.

Use the Recipes tab.

She didn't mean you should move your post over to the "recipe forum", she meant use the recipe tab, as in build a recipe by entering your ingredients.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yup, just figured that out. My bad. Brand new at this and still learning the site.
    I think I am going to love the recipe tab!!!
    thanks!
    Yes you will love it. You can't "type" in your ingredients, you have to do a search for them. I was frustrated 2@ first. Once I got the hang of it. I love it. Love to try out/ invent my own recipes. When you do your diary, you can go to recipes & select which one you want to enter instead of listing each separate thing in it :happy: Enjoy Add me for friend if you like. Maybe trade some ideas & recipes. I can modify almost any thing to make it healthier, It's a fun challenge to me :drinker: