6 Month Transformation - Post RNY Gastric Bypass Success

Options
I have been overweight since college. I'm married and have a 9 y/o son. I have failed at countless diet attempts. I became diabetic, hypertensive, had sleep apnea, developed degenerative joint disease, a hiatal hernia and depression because of my weight issues. My weight gave me social anxiety, where I just didn't want to be around other people much. My son is in different sports through out the year and he always wants me to coach or assist in coaching with his teams, and I have been too embarrassed of myself to take on these roles. I really want to become more involved in leadership roles in my life. I want to live life, instead of watching it go by. Since my RNY Surgery on July 16th 2012, almost every one of the issues above is Gone!!! In the last 6 months the journey has been a wild ride! I would do it again!! I have hit my goal weight of a "normal" BMI and I am now trying to figure out how to maintain. MFP and my friends here have really inspired me to stay focused on my goals. Thank- you all for your support!!! I realize that weight loss surgery is not for everyone, and that it may even be frowned upon in many ways from people that are losing weight and staying fit from traditional methods, but I was once a traditional kind of guy with dieting and fitness until my health issues made things a little more serious than that of a failed New Year's Resolution. This has not been as easy as it may look, it is still a daily battle with food choices, but I am now feeling a million times better and have the knowlegde to use the tool that my surgeon has given me.

**********I'll have to fix the photo's size in a little bit**************

Christopher's Journey:RNY Gastric Bypass
Here are my stats:
Pre~Surgery Weight: 287 lbs
BMI - 41.2
Height: 5ft 10in.
RNY surgery on 07/16/2012
07/16/2012: 275.0 lbs BMI-39.5
08/16/2012: 250.7 lbs BMI-35.9
09/16/2012: 227.4 lbs BMI-32.6
10/16/2012: 208.4 lbs BMI-29.9
11/16/2012: 193.0 lbs BMI-27.7
12/16/2012: 179.5 lbs BMI-25.9
01/16/2013: 172.5 lbs BMI-24.7

ing]null-1.jpg

null-6.png

null-37.jpg

null-33.jpg

null-26.jpg

null-49.jpg

null-38.jpg

null-35.jpg

Replies

• ElleBee615
    Options
    Congrats!! You look awesome!!!
  • raqufern
    raqufern Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you look amazing!!!!!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Congrats Chris! You look GREAT! Keep up the hard work!
  • BestSelf98
    BestSelf98 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. How wonderful to be free from the physical joint pain from the extra weight. I know it well.
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great job Chris, you look amazing! I'm so proud of you.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    fantastic Chris. I am sure you feel as awesome as you look!
  • LetsGetFitMama
    Options
    Congrats! Amazing transformation! My boyfriend is in the beginning process of having gastric bypass done and it will be great to see him being able to be active and having fun, esp since I have a 4 yr old who really wants him out and playing but he just can't yet! I am going to share your story with him! :drinker:
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an inspiration!
  • WeakCalves
    WeakCalves Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing. Congratulations!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    you look amazing and healthy. So happy for you that you were able to get your life back.

I have a question. Just out of curiosity...how long after your surgery did you're diabetes clear up? I have a professor who swears that almost immediately after someone has gastric bypass surgery they no longer have type 2 diabetes. A friend of mine had gastric bypass surgery but didn't have diabetes. She was very close to it though she says. I know for her it wasn't easy. The recovery was hellish but she says she would do it again because it was all worth it. She was morbidly obese and was still able to shrink her skin on her stomach without having to get any removed.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You look fabulous!
  • Christopher4WeightLoss
    Options
    resize03_zpseca62efa.png
    resize06_zpsaacd4795.jpg
    resize05_zps72bc9645.jpg
    null-31resize_zpsf013de66.jpg
    beforeandafter01resize_zpsb61e59d0.jpg
    resize04_zps3e1ecbd6.jpg
    null-38_zps38a6337b.jpg
  • HuwaydaS
    HuwaydaS Posts: 116
    Options
    wow!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    wow!! you look fantastic!! :flowerforyou:
  • cardio_fiend
    Options
    WOW! You look really good. Glad that your health has improved, too.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just incredible! Love the amazing transformation, and bet your wife and son do too!!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Wow! you look amazing and lean! Not to mention your face looks like a movie star now, I'm reminded a bit of The Rock :) Nothing to hold you back from coaching your son's team now!!
  • cakelady69
    Options
    You have done amazing. I'm so glad we are friends on here, because you have been an inspiration to me. Enjoy every moment, you have worked hard for this.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Nice job. Good for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!