Rowing Machines for Cardio?

Options
Are rowing machines really good for total body cardio? I saw a Water Rower the other day and it sure was nice!

Replies

• Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bumping -
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Rowing machines feel different than just straight running. They work your upper body a lot more for sure. But by the end (if you go, say, 500 meters for a beginner), you are out of breath and your heart is racing. Same effect as running, to me. I think it trains a few different muscles though. I'm always sore in the shoulders afterwards.
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Any one else?
  • divadot
    divadot Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a Water Rower and it's pretty awesome. I have worked myself up to 10,000 meters in a short amount of time, about 3 weeks. It used to be that I would do 1000 meters and be exhausted and have to rest. My endurance is growing by leaps and bounds, and I feel that my whole body is tightening up.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love them. I'm actually very disappointed my new gym doesn't have them, I feel like they are a staple. Great cardio using arms and legs and a great back workout as well.
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Rowing works out your legs, arms, back and stomach. It is a great workout if done correctly. It is great for cardio and for strength training, depending on what resistance you use. I jsut read an article yesterday saying some gyms are leaning towards having rowing classes instead of spinning classes because of how great a workout rowing is. You can burn much more calories rowing than spinning.

Keep on rowing, your body will love you for it.
  • divadot
    divadot Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes, I think I read that same article! The time just flies on the rower, and it is the first machine that I have ever used that really gives me a great workout. I agree that you have to do it correctly. I have only been at it since Christmas and can feel changes starting to happen in strength and muscle tone.
  • skillingsrobertj
    Options
    There is a rowing forum here on MFP, come join us !

An indoor rower is great, and has helped me drop 38 pounds as of today. It does workout the majority of your body, i.e. legs, back, core abdominal muscles, shoulders and arms.

Good technique is essential, though and it's not terribly difficult to learn. During each drive, the majority of your effort needs to be from your legs, followed by your core, then your shoulder and arms. check out the following video from a manufacturer;

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Rowing is another great cardio exercise. I feel it in my upper body and core mostly. Sometimes I like to throw a 1000m row in after a back strength training session - talk about burn out :-)

I also like incorporating rowing in a full workout where I might for example:
    row 300m
    20 kettlebell swings
    20 pushups
    (do as many sets for 20 minutes)