Chest pain while running? Normal?

Options
I am trying to get my sorry butt in shape and doing Couch to 5k. During the running portions I sometimes have pain in my chest, right where my heart is. Should I push through, to hopefully strengthen my heart, or is it dangerous. Does anyone know?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    To me this sounds like a question for your doctor.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get my sorry butt in shape and doing Couch to 5k. During the running portions I sometimes have pain in my chest, right where my heart is. Should I push through, to hopefully strengthen my heart, or is it dangerous. Does anyone know?

I would see my doctor if I was you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I play one on MFP...

All jokes aside, do not run - or any other strenuous activity, for that matter - until consulting your doctor.
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    Doctor for sure! When I first started running, I was so out of shape that it was physically painful in many ways. However, you should definitely check out anything heart-related with your doctor.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the above replies. Whenever you're dealing with chest pains (especially around the heart), then caution is the better part of valor.

My first thought was if you were running outside, perhaps the cold weather might be affecting you. Given that this is a DVD you are following, that can be ruled out.

If you are apprehensive about seeing a doctor, it could be your breathing. When running, make sure to inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Try that and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, I would lower the intensity level and consult a doctor.

I had open heart surgery when I was 4. I remember my cardiologist telling me that if I ever experienced chest pains while playing or during gym class, to go off to the side and rest. Chest pains caused during exercise is something to be taken seriously. Especially chest pains near your heart.
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ok, so "not normal" . Thank you! I'll call the Dr.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Don't push through it... don't do any other strenuous activity until you speak with your doctor.

No one here is qualified to give you an answer. Ultimately, when it comes to anything health related, especially dealing with your heart.. don't take chances and go see your doctor.
  • Penny501
    Options
    I'm sure everyone is right - better to be safe... Good luck - and from seeing others recover from heart problems, you will be able to exercise again although you'll need to take the doc's advice about how to ease into it, so don't worry, you'll get back on track :smile: .
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :huh: EVERYONE embarking on a fitness routine should first be checked out by their Doctor.
  • mamato3inca
    Options
    Just FYI...I am under a drs care, I had a thyroidectomy 2 1/2 months ago. I have been cleared to exercise, even run. But, this pain in my heart is new, so I will call the Dr and let her know.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. I told mine I was having chest pain while exercising. That mixed with my high cholesterol worried him and I'm scheduled to have a chemical stress test in a week and an exercise stress test shortly after. No strenuous exercise allowed 'til I'm cleared. Apparently it's not something to mess with.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Yup. Don't mess around. See a doctor.

I had this last summer. Had to stop running and get a couple tests, first just the normal EKG then a treadmill stress test. Good news is they ruled out anything to do with my heart. Now I stretch my arms/rib cage out ahead of time and that seems to have reduced/eliminated the issue. However, as I am fat it was nice to get the doctor's okay to keep running and to be told everything looked healthy from the stress test.
  • mamato3inca
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! I left a message for my Dr this afternoon.
  • mamato3inca
    Options
    Kristin, did the Dr clarify what strenuous activity was? I'm wondering if I can at least walk?
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Kristin, did the Dr clarify what strenuous activity was? I'm wondering if I can at least walk?

He said walking is fine. Pretty much nothing that gets my heart rate up too high. Mine gets up pretty quick (elliptical at 3 mph gets it up to 180) but I try to stay around 150-160 max for now (I'm only 22, so I think that's not too high.)
  • mamato3inca
    Options

He said walking is fine. Pretty much nothing that gets my heart rate up too high. Mine gets up pretty quick (elliptical at 3 mph gets it up to 180) but I try to stay around 150-160 max for now (I'm only 22, so I think that's not too high.)

Thank you! I have been wanting to walk, but was scared to. I'll just make sure to take it easy until I hear back from the dr.