Snapped Neck

Options
Hey, so does anybody know if neck popping is a good or bad thing? I find myself indulging this more and more.

Thoughts, concerns, ideas, rebuke?

Replies

• SoontirFel
    SoontirFel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I guess not.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I do it, but that doesn't mean much :p
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hey, so does anybody know if neck popping is a good or bad thing? I find myself indulging this more and more.

my chiropractor says that as long as you can pop your neck without touching your head/neck with your hands, it is OK.
  • jahenry17
    jahenry17 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My Chiro said that it can cause issue over time. Wearing away the cartlidge gradually can lead to pain in the future.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Popping of joints does not wear away cartilege. It simply releases a tiny amount of fluid that builds up over time. It's harmless.

Have some fun.

Pop away.
  • SoontirFel
    Options
    Popping of joints does not wear away cartilege. It simply releases a tiny amount of fluid that builds up over time. It's harmless.

Have some fun.

Pop away.

.....And we have a winner!!!! Thanks. And no, I never use my hands...I got skillz
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

Have some fun.

Pop away.

I actually won a bet with this piece of info. It's actually gas that builds in your joints and when released make that popping sound.

Happy Popping!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Tue 01/22/13 04:28 PM

Tue 01/22/13 04:34 PM
    I guess not.

Maybe you need to wait more than 6 minutes for a reply.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

Have some fun.

Pop away.

I actually won a bet with this piece of info. It's actually gas that builds in your joints and when released make that popping sound.

Happy Popping!

So my joints are farting? Awesome!
  • SoontirFel
    Options
    Tue 01/22/13 04:28 PM

Tue 01/22/13 04:34 PM
    I guess not.

Maybe you need to wait more than 6 minutes for a reply.

Got it! Next time, I'll wait 7. Thanks for etiquette tip.
  • jsmcintyre
    jsmcintyre Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My Chiro said that it can cause issue over time. Wearing away the cartlidge gradually can lead to pain in the future.
    Yet it is OK as long as you pay him to do it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Don't know, but it creeps me out.
  • ironman1431
    ironman1431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Popping your neck is not necessarily a bad thing, previous posters are correct, its actually gas within the synovial joints of the neck cavitating that are usually responsible for causing the sound. (However researchers may disagree as to the exact cause)
    Other times, it may be a tight muscle tissue flipping over a bony prominence causing the sound or lesions within the joints making the noise.
    The problem with snapping your neck is that once you start, you may not be able to/want to stop. However, cracking your neck may be signs of an instability/hypermobile segment in your neck that you may want a health professional to look at at some stage, but for the most part, I wouldn't be too concerned.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Have some fun.

Pop away.

.....And we have a winner!!!! Thanks. And no, I never use my hands...I got skillz

me too! :bigsmile: