Aqua Zumba

Options
Has anyone tried aqua zumba? The Y is introducing it tonight and I want to try it just want to know what to expect. Does it burn more calories then zumba?

Replies

• abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I wanna know too
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I wanna know too
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have been doing water aerobics for a few months now and would love it if my rec center would do aqua zumba! My guess is that you would burn more calories because the water adds resistance. My HRM is water proof, but the chest strap isn't so doesn't transmit if I'm submerged, but if you have an HRM you could try using it and see if it works. Just make sure you don't press buttons under water.
  • michelle2566
    Options
    I have done a little in my aqua class its great fun and quite hard work,I have also done water works which is more choregraphed and is also hard work but great fun and you feel like you have really done something when you get out of the pool,I normally burn around 670 calories for between 45/60 min class....I say go ahead give it a go :laugh:
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    that sounds really fun, as long as it was in like 2 ft of water. have this water fear that im trying to get over. we dont have it here but maybe if they do have it my fear will be gone.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I did it yesterday and it was great! The resistance from the water made it a challenge! Looking forward to doing it again soon.
  • Myra73
    Myra73 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a class and WOW! I'm not sure what to log it as, the instructors HRM clocked her at over 700 calories, and she said that I was probably close, but I'm not sure (although I am so hungry it feels like the 700 calories I've eaten today ARE spent!) I feel good with saying 500, just in case I didn't burn as much as she did. I was really moving that water around with my hips (I do alot of Zumba, and I'm a belly dancer too, that helps with the "weird" movements).
  • i_love_me_1305
    i_love_me_1305 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing aqua zumba for 2x a week for 11 weeks now and I have to say I absolutely love it. It is so fun and you don’t even feel like you are working out. I recommend it for everyone
  • flight8163
    Options
    Aqua Zumba is great it is definitely a break from the regular aerobics. It's harder to do those moves in the water but I feel it. Started with two nights a week going to add another day to keep the workout going through the weekend. It's a lot of fun!
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I doubt that it uses more calories than regular zumba but it will be much, much, MUCh easier on your joints and tendons.
  • escobedomaricela
    Options
    I'm glad I found this topic and read such good feedback on AquaZumba. I'm going to my first class tonight!! I'm so excited!! Our local Zumba instructor is doing a trail run for one month and if all goes well she'll bring it back as a full class next spring.
  • Ditto. I'm pregnant (hence the 0 weight loss) and just did my first Aqua Zumba class at 24 Hour Fitness. It was fun, didn't stress my body out and when I left the gym, I really felt like I had DONE something. Highly recommend the class for other pregos and folks wanting a great workout with no stress on your joints/body.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    One of my friends has done it and loved it, unfortunately the only Aqua Zumba classes around here are at membership only places. Luckily I do get to try it at a big Zumba event in November. I love Zumba
  • Beautiful_Ideal
    Beautiful_Ideal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know that aqua zumba was a thing, and it sounds extremely AMAZING! I am going to try it. Thanks for posting!
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Zumba happens in the water OMG that sounds fantastic!
  • chickpea00
    Options
    My friend and I just started the Aqua Zumba classes at our local YMCA. They're fun, but I feel like I'm not working as hard as I am in regular Zumba. Maybe it's just that part of my body weight is supported my water? I don't know, but it is super fun and a nice change from my normal workout.
  • SEL_3235
    SEL_3235 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Our instructor HRM said 450 calories burned in 55 min, however the big difference is that she is a long distance runner, she instructs from the side of the pool, she has no water resistance and when out of the pool she cannot do all the moves we do in the pool. With that being said she figured if we are putting forth 125% effort, really working as hard as we can the calorie burn is somewhere in the range of 700 to 1000 calories. I can tell you we definitely burn off a lot of calories when the water starts feeling warm. If the instructors burns 450 & I am 60 - 80 lbs heavier than her, my burn has to be double that. Just a thought...hope this helps.
  • mvillmer
    Options
    I've done it once when we had a demo class at our Y. Its the only time i felt like I was sweating in a pool class! The key is being able to get into the water so that it is chest high or so. Too shallow and you won't have near as much resistance from it. The instructor will be on the pool deck showing you what to do. It's a great class!
  • mamajmm81
    Options
    I did my first aqua zumba class last night. I talked to my instructor before I left. She said in the water you will not burn as many calories as in a regular zumba class but because of the water you are going to strengthen muscles etc. I have been doing zumba for about a year now well close to two. I love it and wanted to try something new. Aqua zumba is now something I am putting on my workout list to. I want to add that I never knew you could sweat in a pool !!! lol
  • jdolphins68
    jdolphins68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Aqua Zumba for about 6 months pretty regular. I have now adapted to most of the routine and can almost keep up, its a little harder in the water, but our insturctor is so upbeat and happy and loves to dance. We are motivated and ready to go every class. I was over 300 lbs. I have lost 20 lbs and I am ready to add something to this other than Zumba 2 x per week. Thinking of a pound ?