A bit of a rant -

Options
I am sick to death of all the garbage that is advertised on tv . McDonald's - and other fast food . Pizzas , tacos , junk food . It's no wonder most of America is overweight ! I want to see apple commercials . Vegetable commercials . The number of healthy food commercials should outweigh the junk commercials ! Ok I know produce is farmed by people who can't afford tv adds . It just seems to me if people where hearing how good fruits and veggies are during their tv viewing time maybe we wouldn't have such an epedemic on our hands . Ok rant over -

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Easy solution - get rid T.V. programming.

We only watch Netflix and DVDs here. Before Netflix, only DVDs (or videos).

It's so peaceful without a T.V.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am sick to death of all the garbage that is advertised on tv . McDonald's - and other fast food . Pizzas , tacos , junk food . It's no wonder most of America is overweight ! I want to see apple commercials . Vegetable commercials . The number of healthy food commercials should outweigh the junk commercials ! Ok I know produce is farmed by people who can't afford tv adds . It just seems to me if people where hearing how good fruits and veggies are during their tv viewing time maybe we wouldn't have such an epedemic on our hands . Ok rant over -

No doubt tv advertising actually shoves food down your throat, it is no fault of the the people at all
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Turn off the TV - problem solved.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Easy solution - get rid T.V. programming.

We only watch Netflix and DVDs here. Before Netflix, only DVDs (or videos).

It's so peaceful without a T.V.

I don't have TV either. I buy awesome stuff with that $100 a month I'm saving.

Maybe people shouldn't spend so much on their cable bill then complain about what's on it.
  • BigH89
    BigH89 Posts: 44
    Options
    A diet of pure fruit and vegetables would probably be worse for you than pure McD's, tacos and pizza.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    I see a lot of this too and absolutely agree! The greatest thing is, when ever I see a food commercial the first thing I think is EW! It looks greasy, fattening, and calorie expensive! I'm happy that even with a tempting double cheeseburger, or a thick creamy Alfredo pasta being blasted in my face... I can resist the urge and realize its a poor choice! Eating healthy and keeping a food diary will do that to you. :)
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    The point of my post is that junk is advertised on tv to the upmost extent . I just wish that healthy food got as much play .
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options

No doubt tv advertising actually shoves food down your throat, it is no fault of the the people at all

aww..be nice..sometimes when I see that McRib pop up I'm really not even in my own body. I'm ordering like four of them at the drive through window. once I'm done, I cry myself to sleep.

Advertising can be very very hard to ignore! We're bombarded by it at every turn.
  • BigH89
    Options
    Because junk is what sells. If people are so weak willed that they fall prey to advertising and can't manage moderation, then they deserve the early grave that is coming to them.
  • BigH89
    Options
    aww..be nice..sometimes when I see that McRib pop up I'm really not even in my own body. I'm ordering like four of them at the drive through window. once I'm done, I cry myself to sleep.

Advertising can be very very hard to ignore! We're bombarded by it at every turn.

Haha why.. Fit it into your macros, no?

Sick cuts btw bro.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    A diet of pure fruit and vegetables would probably be worse for you than pure McD's, tacos and pizza.

that's an interesting theory. I can't imagine how though. Curious to hear your reasons.
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I went to a seminar once of marketing and one of the speaker referred to most commercials as "mind rape". He said the marketing industry put a ton of money and brain power into figuring out how to get into the minds of Americans to force them to buy products they really didn't want. I never forgot that.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I was raising my daughter without tv,she's almost 8 and never saw a commercial.Just dvd's that I selected.She never saw a commercial until I went out of town last spring for my job and her kindly Nana had cable installed as a "Suprise".Now the child wants everything she sees.Not happy when the child tells me "I want hot booties". and that's with just two hours allowed on weekends.Works the same with sugary cereals.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Turn off your tv and read a book -- maybe while eating an apple or a carrot or something.
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Please explain to me how a diet of fruit and vegetables would be healthier than the fast foods you mentioned. I am very interested in learning about why you believe this.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    TV, the other epidemic. We only do PBS and Netflix/Amazon via Xbox, I haven't seen a commercial in probably a year.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I am another NetFlix person... Me and the hubby haven't paid a dime for cable or any other TV program since we moved in together 2 years ago....

Another good thing about NetFlix, you can get a crap ton of workout DVDS!:bigsmile:
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Haha why.. Fit it into your macros, no?

Sick cuts btw bro.

Well yes, everything has to fit into my macros..i'm quite OCD about that...but something about eating 4 McRibs in one sitting is not a good feeling. I wasn't joking...I actually did this once..though obviously i didn't cry. I did take a very coma-like nap though and woke up crazy dehydrated, drooling into my laptop.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

that's an interesting theory. I can't imagine how though. Curious to hear your reasons.

I would be so b!tchy on just fruits and vegetables that my personal health wouldn't be in danger, who ever pissed me off first would though.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

How dare you mention a McRib! I have a handful of evil names I could call you for starting a craving equal to that of a pregnant woman's craving.... But I'll just sip my water and silently cry.... :cry: