Itching While exercising

Options
I just started working out about a week ago and the past few workouts my legs, arms, back and upper buttocks itch while exercising. My primary form of exercise is using my stationary bike since I am just starting out and want to build some endurance. I think its due to circulation but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this or has any other possible causes. By the way I know its not my clothes cuz I tend to ride the bike on panties in front of a full length mirror....TALK ABOUT MOTIVATION!!!

Replies

• fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    Could be the sweating making you itchy...or perhaps a the soap residue from your clothes leaches out as they get wet with sweat causing irritation.
  • eliz_talks
    eliz_talks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey!!

its definitely your blood circulating... I experience it a lot on my legs just by simply walking alot. It's normal! =)

Keep on itching...its a good thing!!

best of luck!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. After a few weeks of working out it stopped, but I still don’t know what caused it in the first place.
  • wendyannhall
    wendyannhall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Drink more water prior to AND after-after is very important because it flushes all that nasty crap out of you that you build up WHILE exercising... also, I think moisturizing with a good moisturizer keeps your skin elastic and smooth and prevents itching from the dry skin caused by sweating... I'd do that just prior to hopping on the bike... good luck!
  • lizmaher
    lizmaher Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey freehold....I have experienced the same problem mostly with my belly, my chest and my thighs....I think that it may due to obviously things bounce and when things are bouncing your skin is moving with them....I don't know how true that is but i can tell that my baby pouch is the one that itches/bounces the most lol.....I don't know if this is the real reason but atleast you know your not alone:)
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had that so bad I would want to rip off my skin. I think it definitely has something to do with circulation and possibly even the temperature. I haven't had it an awhile and I hope it stays away. Good luck and push through it as best as you can.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started too. Use to drive me insane! Try not to think about it and it will eventually stop! Good luck!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Oh that's motivation!!! Well, I'm gonna say that it's circulation too.. but I found a lil info...

"This could be caused by three different things. One, the rise in body temperature makes your skin itch, such as when people sweat in the hot sun, many get itchy; two, that you ate or took something you're allergic to before you went exercising; or three, that you're wearing cloths that make you itch."

Sounds like we can rule out three...

My body used to itch, but it would usually itch if I went for a walk on a chilly morning. I honestly don't have these episodes anymore, but it is starting to warm up :P

Just keep exercising!! :flowerforyou: you're doing great!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had itchy skin when I first started exercising, too. It doesn't happen anymore. I'm not exactly sure when it stopped but I know it has been several months since it happened (I started really exercising last September). I'm jumping on the blood circulation bandwagon, because I know that was the cause for me So, keep it up & it'll get better!
  • freehold1979
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their insight. I figured it was the circulation but wanted to make sure I wasn't the only person this happened to. And the itching doesn't bother me. Just pushes me to keep riding and pushing through
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get that too.
    Also, I find if I am out in the cold for a while and then I go into somewhere warm my legs itch while they warm up.
    So I definitely think it is related to circulation.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What you're experiencing is a histamine response - in otherwords, an allergic reaction to exercise! AAARGH!! I know what you're thinking, but as others have said, you can condition yourself to the point where you no longer get it, so keep up the good work so read on:

-avoid eating foods such as peanuts, shellfish or eggs prior to exercising and these can commonly cause a histimine reaction during exercise as they contain a high number of allergens. When you exercise, your circulation increases, which means that the substances from the foods you eat circulate through your bloodstream at a much faster rate. I would include fish-oil supplements in this list.

- Be sure to warm up appropriately - a histamine reaction occurs during a sudden increase in body temp, so be sure to increase your temp slowly, to minimize the effects.

- consider taking an anti-histamine prior to exercise, such as benadryl or claritin

- If you have any other symptoms such as nausea or lightheadedness, STOP EXERCISING immediately! There have been a few extremely rare and severe cases your body can go into an anaphylactic shock, so if you experience any worsening symptoms, consider lower impact cardio, or swimming, where your body temp will be slightly cooler.

You may also want to use a high quality moisturizer after your exercise such as Eucerin.

Good luck and keep up the good work!!!
  • msspriss
    msspriss Posts: 14
    Options
    I thought this was due to my dry skin and sweat, but it could be circulation I suppose. I found that when I used a moisturizer after showering, it didn't happen. When I didn't, it did. But also I was exercising indoors vs. outdoors, and I think I ate something with peanuts before the time it happened.