Calories burned during exercise

Options
I go to the gym on my break and workout on the elliptical for about 27 minutes, and then I come back to work and track it. When I use the machine I enter my weight and I burn 225 calories in 27 minutes according to the machine, but when I track it in myfitnesspal for 27 minutes it automatically enters 480 some calories and I have to manually change it. That's a huge difference! Which one is correct?

Replies

• tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym on my break and workout on the elliptical for about 27 minutes, and then I come back to work and track it. When I use the machine I enter my weight and I burn 225 calories in 27 minutes according to the machine, but when I track it in myfitnesspal for 27 minutes it automatically enters 480 some calories and I have to manually change it. That's a huge difference! Which one is correct?

To be quite honest, neither of them is exact. They are both estimates. Your best bet is to get an HRM (I'm saving for a good one) so that it is specific to your body. Otherwise, I always go with the lower estimate, so that I don't overeat.

Hope I was helpful.
  • speedgoose
    Options
    Honestly, probably neither....but I would lean more towards the 227 from the machine.

A heart rate monitor is the most accurate way that I have found to count calories burned.
  • sabgirls5
    Options
    Buy yourself a HRM (Heart rate monitor watch) that way you can track your own calories :) I have a Polar, with chest strap...works great!!! You also enter your information on it....Hope this helps!! have a great day love:wink:
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Go with what the machine says, 200ish calories for 30ish minutes seems reasonable. 500ish calories does not.
  • GettingFitToLIVE
    Options
    I would trust either. Buy yourself and HRM. I personally use a Polar FT4 and love it. You enter all your vital info into the watches data settings and you are good to go. It's worth the money. I purchased mine for under $70.
  • k8ecakes
    Options
    There are some calculators online that are more accurate than the ones on the machine or MFP. BUT, you should invest in a heart rate monitor, as stated by everyone else :)
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has noted, the machines are very generic estimates that tend to overestimate. Another option, if I may... Log your workout in MFP but just put 0 calories for all of it. This will help you keep your calories in check rather than have the urge to eat them back. This has really helped me the last week. I had been at a plateau for 2 months or so, but have dropped 4 lbs in the last 6 days. Just a little MFP mind trick to keep my calories down while I am still trying to drop fat.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has noted, the machines are very generic estimates that tend to overestimate. Another option, if I may... Log your workout in MFP but just put 0 calories for all of it. This will help you keep your calories in check rather than have the urge to eat them back. This has really helped me the last week. I had been at a plateau for 2 months or so, but have dropped 4 lbs in the last 6 days. Just a little MFP mind trick to keep my calories down while I am still trying to drop fat.

i love this idea, thanks!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    When I wore my HRM and I worked out at the gym - the calories burned were almost exact. So I wold use that lower no. But it is all estimates anyway and so I go by my TDEE -20% and pay attention to the total calories I eat anyway.
  • luthage
    luthage Posts: 12 Member
    Options

i love this idea, thanks!

No. This is an unhealthy and bad idea. MFP already calculates a deficit.