Why?

Options
I think I am addicted to food in the same way and addict is addicted to drugs/alcohol. If there is something in the house I eat it and eat it until it is gone. I can't seem to stop myself. This past week has just been a nightmare and I bet I am higher than I have ever been.

What is wrong with me? Why can't I just stop eating? I just feel so disgusted with myself.

Replies

• eclarso
    eclarso Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think more people deal with this than you might think. I even know very thin people who have symptoms of a food addiction. it's just such a taboo subject that no on really talks about it. But honestly I think about food all the time, like it's always in the back of my mind. Don't beat yourself up about it too much. Just try to keep unhealthy food out of the house and do things to distract yourself from eating. Some things that have worked for me have been:

1) brushing my teeth immediately after meals (the minty taste makes you not crave food as much; it also tricks your mind into thinking you're going to sleep soon so it's less focused on eating)
    2) chewing gum/drinking calorie-free beverages
    3) using teeth whitening strips (obviously you can't eat when using these)
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    whereas I have no answer for your questions....you have not hit rock until you have tried smoking a twinkie to "get that feeling" or was it filling? But seriously, I too was an addict, but starting to log the calories of all the stuff I was consuming on MFP scared the *kitten* out me the first few days...realizing just how many I was eating. Knowing I needed to change and owning every bite that goes into my mouth now is getting me to the place where I want to be...good luck girl!!!!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Being addicted to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, etc. is a black vs. white situation. But with food, you can't completely cut it out of your life, so it is so much harder. You can' t make GOOD drug choices, or GOOD tobacco choices. But, with food, you have the opportunity to make good or bad choices. Not only with the types of foods, but with the amount of food. YES, it's gonna be hard. But dammit, we can do this! Even when we mess up, there's the next meal, the next day, the next CHOICE we have to make, and we can do it right. DO IT!
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I really relate to your posting. I too, really believe I have a food addicition but specifically to sugar/carbohydrates. I just crave sweets so bad and when they are in the house, even healthy ones like Kashi granola bars, I will eat them until everything is gone. I also have a terrible craving for this white cake that my local store, Safeway bakes. It is white cake with the sugary sugary frosting and I can't get enough of it. I was having a difficult day today and I drove to Safeway just to buy a piece of cake! Talk about feeling bad afterwards.

I have found, for me, the only solution is to quit all the sugar and bad carbs (like pizza!) cold turkey and I am learning I cannot keep them in the house. I cannot even keep the "diet" sweets in the house like skinny cow because I will eat the whole package! So I am slowly learning that I just cannot have sugar and if I am going to have carbs they can only be steel cut oats or brown rice. Sounds boring but once I get on track with this high protein, no sugar and complex carbs way of eating, my cravings stop and I have so much more willpower.

That being said, I am starting all over with this strategy because I completely lost control over this three day weekend, including today. But I am going to start again fresh tomorrow with determiniation and willpower. So, don't beat yourself up. Food additiction is real and is very difficult to overcome. Try to figure out what some of your triggers are and also really try to empty the house from all of the "bad' stuff. Hope this helps....I know you can do it!
  • debbiedoeshealth
    debbiedoeshealth Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I updated my journal for today. I cannot believe I ate all of that. Something has got to give. You are right. I need to keep the things out of the house. If they are in the house I eat and eat and eat until they are gone. I need to go cold turkey as well otherwise once I have one I can't stop myself. I really appreciate the support.