What do you monitor besides the required calories? Why?

Options
Still new to the site and I am set up to monitor calorida (required) Carbs, fat, protein, sugar, sodium...What do you monitor and why?
I'm trying to decide if I should monitor the sugar or not...Since I have fluid retention problems, I track my daily sodium intake too. Tell me what you track and why? Thanks!

Replies

• gettinfit320
    gettinfit320 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Still new to the site and I am set up to monitor calories (required) Carbs, fat, protein, sugar, sodium...What do you monitor and why?
    I'm trying to decide if I should monitor the sugar or not...Since I have fluid retention problems, I track my daily sodium intake too. Tell me what you track and why? Thanks!
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sodium, definitely. I retained water horribly with each of my pregnancies, ever since I have been super diligent about watching my sodium intake, and MFP definitely helps.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I track carbs/protein/fat/sodium/fiber.

Carbs, protein, and fat to make sure I'm staying reasonably 'balanced' in what I'm eating. I track fiber and sodium because both seem to have an effect on water retention for me - I try to stay slightly under on sodium and I set my fiber requirements a little higher than suggested just to keep things moving along.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I track Carbs, Fat, Protein, Calcium and Fibre. I chose Calcium because I want strong bones and fibre as I was interested if I was getting enough. (Grrrr - MFP in my country fiber is actually spelled fibre!! Quit with your wiggly red lines!!)
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. Keep in mind that the sugar recommendation that MFP gives you is generally really low. I go over it just after breakfast many days.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I track calcium and fiber on my mac but I noticed my Iphone tracks Iron, choleserol, potassium and more.. it just all shows up, never had to add them in.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Calories obviously.
    Protein - because I want to make sure I am getting enough.
    Fiber - same reason
    Trans Fat - to remind me to consume ZERO.
    Sodium - to make sure I dont get too much.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I track the same as the OP.

Protein because I was brought up learning that you need as much protein as you can get.
    Fat because I want to make sure I'm not eating like, double the fat I should be. (though it all comes from cheese and avocados)
    Sodium because of "WHY DID I GAIN 4LB- oh it's water weight."
    And sugar because diabetes runs quite strongly in my family and I'm trying to dodge that bullet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I manage my macros (carbs, protein, fat). I don't bother with micros other than sat fats and sodium due to cholesterol and HBP issues respectively. When I manage my macros at 40c/30p/30hf, my sugar and other stuff just kind of falls into line. To that end, I've drastically improved my overall diet from a nutrition standpoint...most of my carbs come from veg, some fruit, and some starches/grains. I don't have too much in the way of refined sugar these days...little here and there, but not a regular part of my diet. When I do have refined sugars and the like, it usually blows my macros up.
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sodium, definitely. I retained water horribly with each of my pregnancies, ever since I have been super diligent about watching my sodium intake, and MFP definitely helps.

Ditto on the sodium, for the same exact reason. Also, carbs, protein, fat, and fiber. Carbs, protein and fiber because, well... to make sure I'm eating a balanced diet. Fiber to make sure I eat enough fiber to keep things moving smoothly, if ya know what I mean ;)
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also monitor carbs a lot closer now after having my baby. I was diagnosed with severe gestational diabetes late in my pregnancy and had to take insulin shots... that sucked. So I do watch my carb intake a little closer since I'm aware of my risk of getting type 2 diabetes in the future.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol recently went through the roof, so cholesterol and sodium are my two major non-calorie tracks.

I keep my protein calories up in a semi-educated effort to reduce lean body mass loss.

I don't have blood sugar issues, thankfully, so I am a little easier on myself when it comes to sugars. I do generally go over - It's really hard not to when eating a lot of fruit and veg, I find.
  • gettinfit320
    gettinfit320 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks all that helped :):flowerforyou:
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a must
    Sodium, I don't track, as long as I'm eating a great deal of potassium...as they pretty much cancel each other out in varying ratios. ( also hold alot of water).

beyond that, outside of MFP, i eat alot of greens...which i don't even count into my MFP diary just because they really don't add much to the whole numbers...but micronutrients, minerals, and anti oxidants should always be a focus of any healthy person.
  • Sterkka
    Options
    Mostly I watch my sugars and proteins. I make sure I don't get too much of the former (don't want an insulin spike) and make sure I get enough of the latter to help build muscle mass. I also keep a lazy eye on my sodium intake and only add salt to things I feel "need" it, flavour-wise. Aside from that, I don't watch much else too closely - I just eat healthily, avoid "light" products, eat in moderation and load up on my veggies!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on losing 13 lbs! Nice work!

I like to monitor fiber. Your body NEEDS soluable and insoluable fiber and most of us struggle to get enough. Getting all of your carb calories from HGI foods sends insulin carzy and causes fat storage. Getting a lot of your carbs from LGI and high fiber makes you feel full onger and helps manage insulin spikes.

Most sites, including MFP, recommend too little protein, especially if you are exercising at all. without seeing your profile, try to get you protein up to 30%.

Good luck!