Heart rate monitors

Options
2»

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    There is a new HRM that has just come on the market - and it claims to be the first continual HRM WITHOUT the chest strap....

It is quite a bit more expensive than the Polars - but oh boy - not needing the strap will be a huge step forward, so I am actually seriously considering buying one....It is called the Mio Alpha

http://shop.alphaheartrate.com/
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT....either 4 or 7, I really don't remember. But its great! Its comfortable, and I've never had an issue with it.
  • vhawkshaw
    vhawkshaw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've used an epulse2 monitor for the last couple years. Works great for me because it shows your heart rate continuously and goes on your forearm--no chest strap (which I tried prior to this and didn't like the inconvenience of a chest strap).

Other than a battery replacement (and it takes quite an odd battery), the epulse2 has performed great for me. More on it at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/ePulse2-Strapless-Monitor-Calorie-Counter/dp/B004DKSLXQ
  • LosingMandy
    LosingMandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 in pink and I love it. Combining it with MFP I have really been able to do the "maths" of weightloss, and have had much more success.

I think the FT4 is really good if you just want a calorie counter, if you want any of the bells or whistles I have heard the 7 is good.
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4. It definitely changed the way I worked out and made me realize when I needed to push harder. I bought mine on ebay. I completely forgot about Sears. It was a great investment.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Great subject. Will use for future reference as well. Especially while weight lifting, always wondered how much I am burning
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Isn't the FT7 the one where you can do a couple of "sync" tests that will allow it to give you even better accuracy? I can't remember specifics, something about wearing it while laying down resting and then it has you do a couple other things.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the FT7 has this: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/smart_coaching

I would love that! I think I'll save up for one. I just wish the FT7 came in the same colors as the FT4. I'm kind of loving the pink. :)
  • sjanney007
    Options
    Is a forearm strap as accurate as a chest strap?
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Great subject. Will use for future reference as well. Especially while weight lifting, always wondered how much I am burning

I'm no expert but have been reading up a lot of about HRM's as I really like the idea of one. The one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that they are no use for tracking calories burned whilst lifting weights. Excellent for cardio exercises like running, cycling etc but they wont give you an accurate count for when you're weight training.
  • KristyStuebe
    KristyStuebe Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sears is running their Closeouts...I saw the Polar FT4 and FT7 and a few other brands on clouseout prices ranging from $50-$65 GREAT DEALS and they have the top 3 choices
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Polar Wearlink+ because it is more convenient to have it connect to my phone and the apps I am currently using.
  • chrisrpriceuk
    chrisrpriceuk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Polar H7. It connects via bluetooth to my iphone or ipod nano without any extra accessories. It also connects to all the gym equipment so I can get accurate readings there. I've only had it a few days and used it loads already. It's great. I also use a fitbit one and am really pleased with that to track my steps and calories.
  • kmgt
    kmgt Posts: 24
    Options
    I see the FT4 on amazon for $68. Does that sound right? These have a chest strap, correct? I feel like something must be missing for only $68, but maybe that's the price now?

I have an old style Polar F6 and am thinking of upgrading.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Polar HRM is good, nothing wrong with them for the price. I have used them in the past. In my opinion nothing compares to Suunto. I am currently using the ambit and will never go back. The ease of use and computer connectivity is just awesome. I have presets for running, hiking, crossfit, cycling and about ten other activities. It tracks miles and just about everything else including elevation changes and temperature. Such a motivational and useful tool. Lastly, the chest strap is the most comfortable one I have used. It clips in front so no need to pull over head, plus the pod is tiny. Good luck! Check out the Suunto computer integration site movescount if you want a glimpse of what they can do, it's basically their app.
  • sjanney007
    Options
    Thank you...I'll check out the Suunto site as well!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I'm no expert but have been reading up a lot of about HRM's as I really like the idea of one. The one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that they are no use for tracking calories burned whilst lifting weights. Excellent for cardio exercises like running, cycling etc but they wont give you an accurate count for when you're weight training.

Damn! My heart rate tends to go up when Im lifting though sometimes Im out of breath. Thanks, I did a bit of homework last night on the FT7. Looks like Im going to buy that one. Not cheap over here though (New Zealand) $160.00-$250.00!!!!! Be worth every dollar....