Graveyard shift and dieting

Options
I work the night shift 4 nights a week... on my days off i switch to sleeping at night.. does anyone have any advice for how i should plan out my breakfast lunch and dinner? i know i should reverse it but i never know what the best times to eat is... especially when i have a night off... then have work the next night.. I usually eat during the day and then go into work... any help would be awesome thanks everyone! I'm new here and im just loving this site thus far!

Replies

• corndog05
    corndog05 Posts: 53
    Options
    I used to work 7p-7a. It is hard, but it can be done. I had the luxury of trying to keep the same schedule on my off days. All I can tell you is to keep your diet as clean as possible and eat when hungry, no matter what time of day you decide to stay up and sleep.

I had a mostly sedintary job at night, so I would climb every set of stairs in the hospital on my breaks and exercise before I went to sleep the next morning. I cannot stress the importance of a support system when you work that kind of shift. If you can buddy up and find an accountablitiy partner at work, it will help a lot.

Good luck. I know the struggle of night shift and dieting. I wish you all the best.
  • yallak
    yallak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have worked 3rd shift for the last eight years in a hospital. I tell you if it wasn't for the extra 8 an hour I wouldn't do it. It is hell on a diet. But, I have found that if I make my meals on my day off and package them then freeze them I just have to warm them up at work and I'm golden. I also use kashi go lean bars for snacks along with a little container of broccoli to munch on when I have time. Eat a good breakfast before going to work, walk as much as you can at work and then eat very light when you get home... It takes time to find the balance but once you do there will be no problems.. Good luck
  • lilykarger
    Options
    thank you for the advice everyone.. I usually sleep when i get home so i dont like to eat for 2 hours before i get home... I eat when i wake up which is about 2-3 o clock.... I hope i can find that right balance.. I started taking zumba classes everyday in the evening i hope that helps as well.. ive been on this shift for 3 years and have gained like 30lbs in those 3 years...
  • lilykarger
    Options
    oh yeah and i never get hungry so i kinda have to force myself to remember to eat...
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I work 12.5 hour night shift also and it is a challenge to switch my eating with one week on, one week off. On my work nights I eat around 1 am a meal with around 400 calories. I eat something around 5 with around 200 calories and then when I wake I eat my supper of around 400 calores. I snack on apples or something else at work to balance out my calories and I bring my food so I can control my calories and pre-plan. Getting my water in is the hardest for me on my work week.
  • lilykarger
    lilykarger Posts: 25
    Options
    that sounds like an awesome eating schedule thank you!
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I've worked the midnite shift for 24 years.

I work out as soon as I'm off, sleep for a couple of hours. Then I try to
    eat around 2pm. Then go back to bed. Eat again at work around midnite.

I keep the same eat 2 times a day on my days off. I still eat around 1 or 2,
    but move my second meal back to around 8pm.

Doug
  • patwil73
    patwil73 Posts: 28
    Options
    I work midnight to 10am for 7 days straight then off for 7 days. Like you I switch back to dayshift on my off week for the family. I have divided my eating times into 0000-0400, 0400-0800, 0800-1200, 1200-1600, 1600-2000, and 2000-0000.

On work weeks I usually get up at 6pm and have a dinner anywhere from 400-650 calories. I snack on the way to work, maybe 100 cal. I eat again at 0230, maybe another 400 cal. Snack at 0500. Breakfast at 9am. Home and to bed around 11:30.

On my last day of work I will come home and stay up to around 5:30 pm. I will eat at 12:30 and a small meal at 5pm. Then sleep until 7:30 the next morning which switches me back to a normal breakfast, lunch, dinner schedule. Hope this helps.