Migraine after exercise?

Options
Apologies if this has been asked before -- I searched, but surely could have missed it. If so, point me to the right thread.

Have any of you ever gotten migraines after exercise? I NEVER have had migraines in my life, but three times in the past six months I have gotten migraines after doing cardio exercise (a 55 minute Nia/dance class, if it matters). I'm talking numbness on the side of my face, curled up in a ball, puking on the bathroom floor pain. The first time I thought it was dehydration, so I upped my water intake before and during my next class. Happened again. So the next time I had a Want More Energy (which is what I use to avoid dehydration in the hot Texas summers, with good success), upped my water intake before, during, and after class, and paced myself better during class. Another migraine. It's frightening, and it keeps me from wanting to go to class and exercise.

I went yesterday, and didn't end up with a full blown migraine but was a little headachy. This time I had some good protein before I went (morning class -- in the past, I haven't eaten much before going), drank good water and Want More Energy on the way to class and during, and had a solid protein lunch after. Had head-poundiness but no migraine.

Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,
S/dakotawitch

Replies

• Diamondndu
    Options
    Drink water. Dehydration me thinks.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I had this problem recently with my Pilates. My friends suggested properly breathing through exercise and paying attention to the floor I was getting down on. I hadn't connected the dots, but I was putting down carpet deodorizer and vacuuming immediately before doing my Pilates. That with the irregular breathing gave me headaches.

I don't know if that would have bearing, as I'm not sure your dance class means getting on the floor? I was just baffled as I, too, was eating and properly hydrating beforehand.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am glad you are worried and checking this out. I started a fitness regimen last week that really challenged me physically and mentally M T W and by Th I was sick. I thought I started working on a headache at the beginning of the week. It kept nagging at me but not a full blown migraine. I felt nauseated and didn't want to eat. Maybe it was the touch of the flu? I don't know. I do not have a history of migraines or headaches. But I did have a migraine once when I was weaning off of breastfeeding. The doctor said at that time that it appeared to be a vascular incident, not an ongoing problem.\ -- meaning a sudden change in blood flow to the brain. My thoughts now about what happened to me and maybe it is the same for you -- when our circulation is increased drastically like through intense exercise, that was not used to, we can have a surge of oxygen to the brain which may very well cause a headache. Just a thought...water helps with headaches so that is a good solution. I took two days off from the gym and did a couple light days at the gym, and another day off. I am going to go back to the gym today. I have already been checked by my cardiologist, stress exercise test and echocardiogram and my heart is in great shape, and my lungs function appropriately. If you are worried, you should get yourself checked, and then you will know how hard to work out. You are worth it!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I frequently get migraines, but not when working out. I would guess dehydration and the way you're breathing. Have you checked your BP after you workout? If it continues, I'd see a neurologist (that's who I see for migraines).

Also, don't just think of hydrating before, during and right after a workout. Try keeping your body hydrated all the time.

I know how bad migraines are. Sorry!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It can take up to 2 days to become fully hydrated. Drinking water before and during is not enough. Make drinking plenty of water a way of life, then just a bit during exercise as needed. Not sure what a "Want More Energy" is but you don't need drinks packed with stuff to workout. Coconut water is excellent for rehydrating after a workout, but it sounds like you have a migraine by then.

As somebody who gets migraines I found N.O.Fury from Six Star Nutrition (available at WalMart) worked to stop them. It's a nitric oxide booster containing l.arginine and l.citruline. They're nitric oxide precursors. Your body uses them to produce nitric oxide which relaxes your blood vessels. This in turn lowers your blood pressure too. I originally started taking it for my weight lifting but found a side effect was no more migraines.

Excedrin works really, really good if you get one, but you need to take it at the first sign and not after it's full blown.

I would think it sounds like not enough water. Now, you can drink too much, but you'll probably feel like you're floating away at that point. If you really feel this is becoming a problem then I'd suggest seeing a doctor. They'll probably recommend you see a neurologist. Mine did and the neurologist did nothing for me besides run scans, tests, and keep upping dosages of medicines that never worked. After all, why should I take narcotics for a headache when Excedrin works? I've become one of those, "I know my body best" people over the years.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Want More Energy is something very similar to Emergen-C...you add it to water to help get a vitamin boost, and it helps me stay hydrated when it's 107 out. It's about 5 calories since you add it to regular water, nothing too scary like in the "energy drinks" that are out there.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Hydration is an all the time thing, not something you do right before or during a workout. Breathing while exercising is important too. A lot of people tend to hold their breath so concentrate on taking deep breaths. Also if you've just started being active it isn't uncommon for your body to not be happy with the idea and plan a revolt. Maybe you're pushing harder than you're ready for.
  • ironman1431
    ironman1431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My question is if you are actually having a migraine? Visual disturbances, light sensitivity? If you did not have these I'm not sure it was an actual migraine, and migraines can last for hours to days. Numbness and tingling on the side of the face, well that is a concern. However, many headaches can be caused by tight muscles in the cervical spine. For example, the upper trapezius can refer pain to the side of the temple and face. I would consult a health professional/MD etc, to rule out any major stuff, but chances are it is probably nothing to worry about and may be due to overexertion, doing too much too soon etc.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. This has given me some things to think about and try. I try to stay well hydrated all the time, not just during workouts, but I think those of you who said I might be running at a hydration deficit may be right. I'll try upping my water all the time and see what that does. I'm also interested to pay attention to my breathing next time I take class and see if that makes a difference -- I can totally see that when I'm really concentrating on learning the new moves I might be clenching my jaw or not breathing deeply.

I'll get checked out by my doc, too, but in the meantime I'll experiment with more water and more oxygen :)