Gutted

Options
I had lost 4 lbs since Christmas - but managed to put it all back on in just one week.

I wouldn't feel aggrieved if I hadn't been working really hard at it - but I've been eating healthily, well within my calorie goal and tracking my food intake religiously.

I have ran approx 15k - 20k (which I have been doing anyway for the past 5 months or so)

My only sin this week was a chinese take away with the family on Friday. But I didn't eat a huge amount and stuck to the healthiest choices I could find (nothing deep fried, no prawn crackers etc...)

Really gutted - why bother?

Replies

• xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It's probably sodium from the Chinese. Make sure you drink loads of water
  • starspeckled
    starspeckled Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I had lost 4 lbs since Christmas - but managed to put it all back on in just one week.

I wouldn't feel aggrieved if I hadn't been working really hard at it - but I've been eating healthily, well within my calorie goal and tracking my food intake religiously.

I have ran approx 15k - 20k (which I have been doing anyway for the past 5 months or so)

My only sin this week was a chinese take away with the family on Friday. But I didn't eat a huge amount and stuck to the healthiest choices I could find (nothing deep fried, no prawn crackers etc...)

Really gutted - why bother?

Chinese = sodium
    Sodium = retaining water
    Retaining water = weight "gain".
    Give it another week, I bet you'll see a change!
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath, calm down & repeat after me: "it's just water weight."

Drink water, give it a few days & you'll be back where you were if not lower.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you keeping track of your measurements and how your clothes fit? those will be more of a better indication since scale weight can fluctuate.

for instance takeout notoriously has LOTS of sodium, even if it fits in your calories all that extra sodium can cause water retention in your body

also rome wasnt built in a day and neither is a new body. just suck it up and keep at it. giving up after less than a month and because of 4 pounds would be pretty lame IMO.
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    As someone who habitually jumps on her bathroom scales I can testify that weight as a measurement alone does fluctuate wildly. What is more important is if u see improvements in your body measurements, how your clothes are fitting, your body fat %. Your fitness levels are these improving?
    Don't give up and don't rely on what the weight measurements are on the scales x
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? I understand why people weigh themselves just once a week but the one downside is that if you get a weight loss fluctuation on a particular day it really looks bad. I've had one day when the scales show me as a 3lb weight gain and then a couple of days later it looks like I've lost 6lb from that point.

Definitely go for what others have said, chill and you'll notice it'll drop off. My suggestion is weigh yourself on Wednesday and see if it's coming back down.
  • Millie2045
    Options
    I wouldn't worry as the others say it is probably the sodium from the Chinese.
    I am only on my 3rd week and have lost 7lbs. I always have a Saturday night off
    I don't go mad am good all day then cook a nice 2/3 course meal in the evening
    for myself & my husband. The scales always say I have gained on a Monday but by the Wednesday
    My true efforts are recognised
    As long as you have only had 1 slip you will be fine just stick to it .
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Because if you don't bother nothing will change at all and you will stay the same.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Apart from what was already brought up, I noticed when I started running, I stopped losing significant amounts of weight, but lost 2 pant sizes. Definitely check your measurements.
  • daviesap
    Options
    I don't know what to say!

Thanks so much for your replies. I won't give in - I have been trying too hard for that.

Hadn't realised the sodium could have such an effect, and no - I haven't been drinking much water (just lots of coffee).

I don't drink enough water by far - something I need to make a point of doing.

I do weigh myself every day more or less, and noticed the gain on Saturday morning (after the chinese). But I didn't give it much heed until this morning which is my usual weigh in day.

Thanks all - feel much better now!!

Andrew
  • daviesap
    Options
    Sorry to reply to my own post, but I've remembered why I don't drink much water.

Having had 3 glasses this morning - I am up and down to the loo seemingly constantly! Honestly - twice this past hour alone!
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Sorry to reply to my own post, but I've remembered why I don't drink much water.

Having had 3 glasses this morning - I am up and down to the loo seemingly constantly! Honestly - twice this past hour alone!

I have this same issue and it puts me off drinking water :( sucks.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Look at those trips to the loo as more calories burned. Drink up, good man! Here's to your health! :drinker:
  • daviesap
    Options
    :laugh:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

Look at those trips to the loo as more calories burned. Drink up, good man! Here's to your health! :drinker:
    That, too, goes away in time for most people. :)
  • daviesap
    Options
    Wowzer!

I took your advice everyone and drank loads of water yesterday. Then when I got on the scales this morning the weight had dropped off again! Back down to 15 St 11 lbs from 16 St just the day before!

So what happened there then? Is it that drinking lots of water means that your body doesn't have to store it and sodium exacerbates the problem?

Thanks again all. Just got a business trip in Dubai to negotiate now and hopefully I'll be back on track.

x
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Please open your diary so you can get more reliable answers.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

just keep at it. you get used to it. i think you're body gets used to using the water.

for instance i normally drink a lot of water (i stop counting after 12 cups) and today all before lunch i had 64 ounces of water +2 cups of coffee+ 1 cup of tea and I only went to the bathroom once.
  • daviesap
    Options
    Done!