Elliptical pain

Does anyone l have a hard time with the elliptical? Every time I get on the elliptical within 2 minutes my knee is throbbing to wear it brings tears to my eyes, I try to work through it but I just can't. Any ideas or suggestions why this may be happening or what I can do so I can use the elliptical more than 2 minutes at a time?

Replies

• Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Knee pain is vague as there's a lot that can go wrong with your knee. Where is the pain radiating from in your knee? Front, back, etc. If it's that bad then I suggest you see a doctor before you get back on it. Trying to tough it out may only be causing more damage.
  • ironman1431
    ironman1431 Posts: 22 Member
    Previous poster is correct. Knee pain can mean a lot of things. It could be ligament, bone, muscle etc. If you are getting pain around the periphery of the kneecap, especially with activity, and the knee feels a little swollen, then it may likely be patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS), which is usually due to muscular imbalances in the knee extensors. PFPS can also give you pain when you are at rest with the knee bent around 90 degrees. A knee that gives out/collapses usually indicates some type of ligamentous issue, and a knee that locks on you usually suggests meniscus. If you did not have a traumatic event in your knee recently, my suggestion would be to stretch out the quads with a foam roller first to see if that makes a difference (google foam roller for quads), or try a different exercise. If that doesn't work, seek out the advice/help of a health care professional.

If the knee clicks, don't worry about it, unless the clicks are painful
  • Ballard12
    Ballard12 Posts: 109
    Thanks, ive never really had any problemscwith my knees and I can do the treadmill, cycling, rowing , but dor some reasin it hurts on the elliptical or cross trainers..I will try the foam roller and if nothing else I will ask my dr.