Frozen Water Balloons

Options
HurricaneElaine
HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
Has anyone seen these on Facebook or Pinterest? A co-worker posted a picture of hers on FB, and I just HAD to try it. I found them after going to three different stores, and paid $2.99 for 15 balloons! They're outside on the deck, as it's about 20 degrees here. I just checked them, and they're still liquid after more than two hours. Must be because they're good-quality latex and not cheap thin plastic. I can't wait to see how they turn out. Especially since I had only red, green and blue liquid food coloring. I found ground turmeric in our spices and hopefully that one will be a pretty orange-yellow.

Hm, now I'm wondering why I'm posting this here. I can't take pictures and post them anywhere but Facebook.

Carry on!

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It takes tiny ice cubes four hours to freeze in the freezer. A big water balloon is going to take a bit longer.
  • HurricaneElaine
    Options
    It takes tiny ice cubes four hours to freeze in the freezer. A big water balloon is going to take a bit longer.

I didn't think of that.

My duh. :laugh:
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I just saw them on pinterest. They do look fun to make. I like the idea of leaving them in the balloon to keep drinks cold too. Like giant ice cubes for a bucket of drinks. It might work nice in the boat too. One thing I wondered if the coloring might stain whatever it's under after it melts. I guess you could just set them in the snow where there is grass. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I bet if you left them out overnight they'd be solid by morning :)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I had to google frozen water balloons. Right up my alley. Love it.

I was in North Dakota last year & it was primitive. Heck I even had to do my own laundry.

I left a bottle of liquid laundry detergent in my truck (temp was -11) and when I made it to the washateria, the damn bottle was frozen solid! I ran hot scalding water on the bottle for the longest and ended up having to squeeze the slush out like it was toothpaste. LOL

Then that night the electricity shut off in my office trailer and the coffee maker and pot was full of solid ice. No coffee for a long while, so we ice skated in my trailer waiting for it to thaw. The next night some clown got the bright idea of soaking a cushioned office chair with water. The next morning ****CLUNK!**** I almost broke my butt sitting down! That chair must have weight 100 lbs! LOL
  • HurricaneElaine
    Options
    They all broke in half. :cry: