Weight Watchers Question (nursing mom)

Options
This is my third week of weight watchers and I am currently nursing my 4 month old full time. My weight watchers leader allotted me 14 additional points because of the nursing.

I've noticed an increase in headaches since starting with weight watchers and initially I figured it was figuring out how to balance my points better, which I feel I'm doing much better with now.

I've also noticed a decrease in milk production even though I'm drinking at least 48oz of water a day (3 weeks ago I would do days were I would barely get a glass in so that's a huge improvement).

Anyhow, today I decided to track my calories along with my points and discovered (*gasp!) that I was 500 calories short of my recommended calorie intake for a nursing mother (1700 calorie recommendation), even though I ate all my points. Wouldn't that put me in starvation mode? I'm still trying to understand how weight watchers works.

Here is what I ate today, weight watcher point total was 39 points, calorie total was 1173

Breakfast:
1 Hardboiled egg
1 serving apple cinnamon natural oatmal
8oz almond milk
1tbs French Vanilla Creamer in 8oz coffee

Snack:
Low Fat Dark Chocolate cherry chewy granola bar
light mini babybel cheese
mandarine orange

Lunch
medium flour tortilla with homemade hummus, cucumber, shredded carrot and radish, and roasted red bell pepper
2 cups of progresso beef barley vegetable soup

Snack:
Yoplait light, key lime
baby carrots

Dinner:
1 cup rice
1 cup homemade Chicken Tikka Masal (Chicken in a creamy tomato sauce with Indian spices)

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Clearly those WW points don't give you adequate information about nutrition.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I did my meal plan for tomorrow as well and it also came out to about 1176 calories but 41 points so I'll still be about 500 calories below the recommendation. Any weight watcher people out there with info on this?
  • Schnell117
    Schnell117 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was a WeightWatcher a few years ago and lost 33lbs and kept it off for a few years. But I wasn't a nursing Mum!

I think WW is a totally different mentality to what this website is about. I would suggest ask your WW leader about calories and she what she/he has to say.

I think with Weight loss / management you need to find something that works for you and stick with it. I tried to go back to WW again but they have changed their system since I did it last and I don't like the new system. And this website (counting calories) is totally different to WW. I don't know if trying to do both will work?

Sorry - not much help I know!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on doing both long term, I used my fitness pal with my first kiddo to lose the weight and I love the community boards, etc. I don't plan on counting calories on here if I decide to continue with weight watchers. I've seen people posting about weight watchers so was hoping that someone might know. My next meeting isn't until next Monday so I was hoping to get some in site ahead of time. Worse case I guess I'll just track calories for the week until I can sort out the points thing