*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options

Replies

• clcole522
    clcole522 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday....Its a Cold Tuesday.. Our high here on the Eastern Shores of MD, 25, thats our high...That is chilly for us..lol
    The wind is whipping, its just darn right cold..And I used it as an excuse to not go to the gym this morning... 5am, and it was like 20 degrees....It was awful, I just didn't want to go out into it this morning... Now......I'm feeling guilty that I didn't... :( Hate when I make excuses.....lol
    Have a good day :)
  • jess_fowler
    jess_fowler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am just getting started again on MFP and saw this post. I am hoping to lose 50-55 pounds (I am currently down 10 from my all-time highest weight). I live in Wisconsin and have 3 year old twin boys. I am 19 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight, but I was trying to lose weight when I got pregnant. I am tired of being tired and out of shape and not being able to keep up with my boys. On Friday, our boys went in for their 3 year check up and one of my sons is on the border of being overweight for his height. I was shocked. First, I couldn't believe my skinny little dude is at the maximum healthy BMI for his age/height (his brother is the same weight but almost an inch taller so he's just fine). Second, it really made me realize I need to change my habits NOW so that we can all learn healthy eating and exercise habits as a family. I need to stop putting garbage into my mouth and start paying more attention to what I am eating, and tracking my food intake on this site will be a big eye opener I think. I also need to start going to the gym again. There is child care there for my little monsters so I can't use that excuse. My issue is that I hate getting home at 6:30pm and then having to cook dinner when my kids want to eat the second we get home. I made a bunch of freezer meals so hopefully that will help!
  • keelski
    keelski Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello everyone :).

I'm Keeleigh, 25 and from Wakefield, UK. I have over a 100lbs to lose, I'm a student and slave to 2 cats :) haha. I have always been a big girl, for as long as I can remember...Used to get told "oh it is puppy fat" until I got diagnosed with underactive thyroid at 12 and later on with PCOS. At the time I was also severely depressed, social anxiety and agoraphobic due to some pretty awful situations - neglect, abuse, sexual abuse and rape as a child/teen and as many do in those situations...I was so desperate to get out I went with anyone willing to take me away, which mean my last ex was physically abusive and controlling, I'm explaining this because my ex used to withhold food from me, so when I got away and I could eat again - oh boy, did I eat again! I have put on 6 stone in about 4/5 years! I'm okay now as in the last couple of years I sought help and now feeling much better, though I do still mainly struggle with anxiety in social situations (even in forums! So, please excuse if my posts ever come across all unstructured etc haha). I think in years previous I used my medical conditions as a crutch for the weight "I can't lose it, it is my thyroid" or "There is nothing I can do" and the only time I lost weight previously was in that abusive relationship and I think my sub-concious must have put 2 and 2 together to make 5 haha, as I am more than fine now and have access to food and nobody is stopping me, but if my boyfriend ever game me a portion size smaller...I would immediately think of those past times of "You can have 20 % and I can have 80%". Sorry, for all the personal stuff, trying to explain where I'm coming from :).

All is good now - I'm a student, went from being stuck in with 2 cats all day, never leaving the house to attending a brick university campus with thousands of students, I volunteer and I take care of myself, as I do matter and I'm truly looking forward to this year. Losing the weight will be the best thing, it will be almost as if I am losing not only the weight, but those stupid associations my mind makes and telling those in the past "you have not won" and look at me now, because seriously I will be HOT when I get down to my ideal weight haha.

Very sorry for the long post =) and if anyone needs support, please feel free! As cliché as it sounds, I truly do love helping people :)
  • MrsG2
    MrsG2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Bernadette, 41, and I LOVE the idea of this group. I really enjoyed reading through what everyone has posted. I also like that it's real...we can't be sunny all the time! I found my dream phrase in this group...I'm "releasing" weight. Yep...don't want it back.

I've been overweight half of my life. I wasn't overweight as a teenager, but I was very active and once I stopped those activities when I got married (too young) at 19, I gained weight. I worked at a fast food restaurant in the early mornings and once I got off of work (by noon), I'd veg for the rest of the day. I gained 60 lbs in about 4 months. It's been a bit downhill since then. I divorced at 24 and I know my weight was part of the issue with him. I'm better off, so that was a good period in my life.

I am very happily married now, but I've gained about 25 lbs since I got married 6 years ago. My first goal is to get back to my wedding weight. I'm almost there and it's very exciting. Once I hit that, then I want to get back to what I consider a reasonable weight. I'm 5'7" and my last weigh in was 238. Ideally, I'd like to be anywhere between 165 and 180. I'm not picky :wink:

I have decided that I will not work out more than I can keep up with. I want to be realistic and I know myself...I'm lazy. I had a physical this last weekend and the Dr was surprised that I don't take any medications because my blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol and blood sugar are within normal, healthy levels. I am a big girl who eats healthy, I'm just lazy. So, in an effort to be true to me, I'm not over doing the workout stuff. I have cut my portions and I walk. I like walking so walking the dog (Samantha) REGULARLY is my work out. It used to be once a week, but that's bad for Sam and bad for me, so it's more often and it will continue. So far, it seems to be working. I'm sure I'll hit a plateau soon, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (maybe I'll jog over it! :laugh: )

My husband is very supportive. He's been great. He loves me regardless, but I want to take care of myself for him and for me. And, I really do want to be in pictures with him again.
  • tigersteph80
    tigersteph80 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!!
    My name is Stephanie and I am a stay at home mom to twin boys who are 2 1/2. I have about 50lbs to lose and have struggled with this for years. I have PCOS and that makes it more difficult but definitely not impossible.
    Hopefully I can meet some people on here who can help me accomplish my goal and I can do the same for them.
  • MTjessi_marie
    Options
    I'm Jessi. I am also a Montanan. YAY MONTANA! Anyways...I am a mom and a full time college student and I just didn't have that "me" time, so I packed on the pounds. I want to lose about 50. I've been at it a week and have lost 7 so far! Would love some motivational friends and I will be there to motivate as well! Anyone is welcome to add me.
  • Rayanne23
    Rayanne23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi, my name is Rayanne, i'm from alberta and i'm a stay at home mom to 2 wonderful boys, 3 years and 8 1/2 months, i also babysit a 3 year old girl full time and a 5 year old boy part time, so some days i find it hard to keep to my exercise routine. i would love to lose 60+ lbs and gain some self confidence. my husband has been quite supportive but of course when he decides he wants to lose weight he does it like nothing. men are lucky that way! anyway i would love to have some friends to talk to and help keep me motivated :)
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Well finally everything is back to normal. Father in law is back home, after having both knees replaced. He is sore but happy to be home.
    Stepped on the scale today, like I do every day and down a total of 10 lbs. Yea me!!! Not bad, 10 lbs in 22 days.
    My friend and I are putting together our class reunion, 15 years...geez. Anyways we are having it in Aug. So I have 7 months to lose as much as I can. I think our 5 years I was about 240 and I'm at 263. Would love to be at 200!! Something to work on and to get excited about. Think of the cute outfit I could get.....hum....
    So that is about it. Hope everyone is doing well and making good choices.
    Julie
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    ... hey all! I'm just still really struggling. It's the meds, I know that... but? It's still just a big struggle. So, instead of whining, I'm gonna just say that I hope everyone continues to do well. I'll try to check in more tomorrow when my mood is improved...
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The last couple of days I've been HUNGRY...and I am eating tons, and drinking lots, but it's the horrible cold, and it's cold in the office too, and it's week 3 and everything makes me want to eat. I know it'll pass as my body re-adjusts to being healthy, to the cycling, to the baltic temperatures in the office, to the fact that no it can't have a frothy coffee (no, not even a skinny one), nor can it have that cakey/pastry goodness on the way it OR the way home, and nope it simply cannot have a bacon roll even though EVERYONE else in the office seems to be munching on one as they arrive for work at 10.30-11 (I arrive at 9 and eat breakfast at 7, so by this point my stomach is growling!)

But I'll grit my teeth and sit it out, and keep telling myself that this peppermint tea/coffee/apple is just as yummy...and hope that the cold at least burns more cals!?

I hope everyone is good, it's been a really busy few days at work so I've been unable to comment on everyone as I'd like to, but I have read all your stuff (but I read it late last night when I was too tired to reply, and now my responses have vanished from my mind!) But also welcome to the newbies, vent/discuss/pat yourself on the back/whatever here, use it as much as you like! xx
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    5.4lbs RELEASED THIS WEEK BABY!!!!!! I am estatic!! I really was not expecting this. My goal for January (didn't get back on the wagon until 9th) was to lose 5lbs this month with an ambitious goal of 10lbs. I currently sit at 6.6lbs for the month. This means that the 10lbs is getting closer. I credit a lot of this to the super clean super low cal Sunday. I've kept up the water and tea (I'm burning calories just making the trips up and down the stairs to the loo). I am thinking of having one of these low cal days a week. It just made me feel good to know that I made it through that day and didn't cave and it made me feel good when eating 'normal' on the other days. That said struggling with the pretzels that are in the kitchen...just can't stop!!

Been a busy day. Raced to the doctors office for an emergency appointment for the baby, pushing the buggy through the snow up and down hills, running part way (they said I needed to be there in 15 minutes to hold the slot and its 20 minutes away). Felt like it burned a bazillion calories. Baby has bronchitis :cry: And I have De Quervains disease in my wrist which is a fancy way of saying super inflammation in my wrist from hoiking baby around so we are both on meds.

Becky: 2 days girly and then life will begin to return to normal. I can only imagine how you are feeling. Hugs

Penny: I might be Canadian and I might laugh at the ridiculousness of the British response to snow and cold but I have had enough of the cold. Our place is older with single glazed...I'm tired of being bundled up like Nanook of the North! Well done on getting through so far and you will beat week 3. I hear ya on the bacon butty...the staff room at school always had them and they became a weakness of mine. You can do.

Julie: wowzers, great job on the 10lbs and I have no doubt that with your mind put to it that you will reach your goal for the class reunion...it certainly is great motivation! And you look fantastic regardless.

Newbies...hello and jump in to the conversations! :tongue:
  • erinmarispini
    erinmarispini Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone-

I'm Erin I'm 52 and looking to loose some weight...58 lbs to be exact! I found MFP and so excited. I think this site is just what I needed. I have been a yo-yo dieter most of my life. I made a New Years resolution that I am for once in my life loose the weight I need to. I am going to change my lifestyle....not go on a diet.

I was able to take an early retirement a year ago and I have 5 beautiful grandchildren. These are my motivations for staying with this. I hope to make some great friends here for support and hope I can help give some motivation to someone when they need it!

My motto is I Believe I can do this. I tell myself this every morning before I even get out of bed. Good luck everyone!
  • dodson169
    Options
    Hey - I need some supportive friends right now. My name is Christine and I now have about 77 pounds to lose. I am disappointed by this amount today because I had not been weighing myself because I didn't want to be disappointed - but I decided to get it over with to get a good starting point. When I did weigh, I was 10 pounds over where I expected to be. I have struggled with this since I was 7 (I am 40 now) and seem to gain and lose the same 60 pounds. Well, I guess now it is the same 70 pounds. I have been on this site several times before and get discouraged and end up leaving for a while (hence the 60 pound cycle). I am just really discouraged today and if you are offering to be supportive friends, then I need it. I don't even really feel like I can do it anymore. I am not trying to whine - just sad today.
  • JoQuinn523
    JoQuinn523 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HI everyone my name is JoAnn but everyone calls me Jo- I am 46 and need to lose 50lbs. I would love to be part of this group.
    I work for the Chicago Park District in the special recreation program. I work with children and adults that have physical and visual disabilities. Temporarily I am working with children and adults who compete in Special Olympics. I am realizing how out of shape I am. I can not be a good coach at my current weight and size :cry: I am tired of starting a diet every year only to gain it back and start it again the following year. THIS YEAR WILL BE DIFFERENT-2013 is MY YEAR!!! I realize now this is a lifestyle change and with support and motivation WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER- Add me on:flowerforyou:
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey there :) I'm Meghan.. Feel free to add me! I am always looking for new friends who are serious about this journey and love to motivate/be motivated! I am super positive and don't like negativity.. So you won't hear it from me!! Again feel free to add :)
  • herewegoagain44
    Options
    Hi My name is susan im 44 and as my name says "herewegoagain" from the UK , Scotland Whant is everyone doing counting calories? or EE something or other with the calculating of the BMI x 1.4 ?? . I am on day 2 and have put myself on 1200 calories but that appears to be too low as im eating ealthy and going over arghhhh so need to rethink... Anyway good luck everyone xx
  • Fatfiend
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Sara, I'm 22 from Chicago, IL. I would like to lose 45lbs (I know its not 50, but I need a support group because for me it feels like a LOT of weight to lose). Between losing my parents, a few bad bfs, stress, and a lot of extra projects in the past few years - it's been a losing battle with my weight. In April 2011 I was 155. Last Sunday I weighed 200lbs. I'm trying to get back down to 155 at least. Possibly more than that, but we will see. Part of the reason I feel I will be more successful this time is that I'm not emotional eating, I have a good fiancee who is very supportive and who himself is starting to work out again. I had promised myself that if I ever got to 200lbs I would really try. So here I am. I'm doing a VLCD for the first month to shed as much excess weight as I can (I'm eating healthy though - lots of veggies, fruits, fiber, protein), then I will slowly increase my caloric intake with exercise. It's too much for me to exercise right now as I also struggle with fibromyalgia. Which make exercise for me so freaking painful most days. I think losing some excess weight might lessen the strain on my body and help exercise to feel better.
  • ktmpjsmom
    Options
    Had my annual physical yesterday. My doctor is so hung up on how much I weigh. I'm a healthy overweight person. And I'm trying to get some pounds off but it's hard. I'm just have to keep @ it! Even though the scale doesn't show it, I am feeling better and my clothes are fitting me better - I might even need to buy some new ones soon!!
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My name is Charlene and I want to lose 50 or so lbs. I've lost nearly 7 so far and feel this time it will stay off! I'm retired, 64 and live in Texas. I love scrapbooking and I also run a Scottish shop out of my home (internet) and sell kilts, bagpipes, etc. Feel free to "friend" me!
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Sara, I'm 22 from Chicago, IL. I would like to lose 45lbs (I know its not 50, but I need a support group because for me it feels like a LOT of weight to lose). Between losing my parents, a few bad bfs, stress, and a lot of extra projects in the past few years - it's been a losing battle with my weight. In April 2011 I was 155. Last Sunday I weighed 200lbs. I'm trying to get back down to 155 at least. Possibly more than that, but we will see. Part of the reason I feel I will be more successful this time is that I'm not emotional eating, I have a good fiancee who is very supportive and who himself is starting to work out again. I had promised myself that if I ever got to 200lbs I would really try. So here I am. I'm doing a VLCD for the first month to shed as much excess weight as I can (I'm eating healthy though - lots of veggies, fruits, fiber, protein), then I will slowly increase my caloric intake with exercise. It's too much for me to exercise right now as I also struggle with fibromyalgia. Which make exercise for me so freaking painful most days. I think losing some excess weight might lessen the strain on my body and help exercise to feel better.

Sara..I've heard that fibromyalgia can be greatly helped by following the Paleo lifestyle. Have you considered that?