Insanity or P90X??

I'm trying to figure out which one I wanna try... anyone have any input on which one may have better results or just info on which one they've done.

Also... which one may be less intense for your back. I'm very physically active and aware of my body (I've danced my entire life, am a pilates instructor, used to lift, and have studied anatomy and physiology)... I know how when to stop and how to modify. Or are they both just something I'll either have to eliminate or modify or switch to my own exercise when it becomes harsh on the back?

I fractured L5 (who knows how long ago) and have chronic back pain due to that, a misaligned pelvis, slight scoliosis, and what to me seems like is definitely lordosis... there's other stuff going on but the doctors aren't really very good at noticing subtle things regardless of how much pain they cause -_-

So anyway... any input at all would be great!!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    They're not the same thing?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    They're not the same thing?

I think the main difference, or so I've been told, is that P90X uses resistance bands and dumbells, but Insanity uses nothing but body weight.
  • etta0607
    etta0607 Posts: 6 Member
    My husband and I have been doing Insanity for quite a while and although it is really hard, it is a very good workout. I highly recommend Insanity. Shaun T. (the trainer) makes it seem like he is talking right to you through the screen and encouraging you along the way. Good luck!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    I've only done P90X--you would easily be able to modify anything, especially considering your background. I also have chronic back stuff leftover from a car accident (neck and lumbar spine), and I had no problems (other than the obvious, you know, working out is supposed to be hard kind of problems!). I also have a pretty extensive dance and movement background. I have done another one of Shaun T's programs, though, Rockin' Body. He's a lot of fun, but I prefer Tony Horton's geeky charm. Unless I'm mistaken, Insanity is much more cardio (ie high impact) based, so if you're not into jumping around then P90X might be the way to go (there's only one high impact day, but it's pretty easily swapped).

Either way, though, I'm sure you'll be able to create a good balance for yourself. I love Beachbody stuff!! Good luck! :happy:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    If you've already got physical limitations Insanity is not a good choice for you.

Also, there are other workouts available besides beachbody or Jillian DVDs, aren't there?
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    I'm sure both are good workouts... I was always kind of drawn P90x because it's muscle confusion... I mean I could try another program as well but I did want to do one of these... and I have no trouble modifying. I may see if someone I know has it so I can sort of "test" it out as far as my back goes and see how much modifying I have to do an if it'll be worth it before I pay for it myself.
  • AngelaBianco82
    AngelaBianco82 Posts: 91 Member
    I just recently asked people the same thing. I got different answers. I decided to go with Insanity and I just started it on Monday. It's very difficult and I didn't even make it through the first half of the workout.

My heart was pumping and I was sweating. I wanted something that would get me out of my funk so I'm happy with it. I should have slowed down and done less reps to build my endurance. I tried to keep up with the people who are ripped and athletic in this video. However, the point is to push yourself at your level, so I'm going to slow it down when I do my workout today.

If you are looking for a high intensity cardio workout than I would recommend it. I'm planning on doing P90x after Insanity.