what to eat b4 half marathon?

Options
I ran a marathon in January and I did load up on H20 carbs and nutrients beforehand... however for a half - what should I eat today and tomorrow if the race is on sunday? 2 weeks ago I gained weight and I have worked really hard to lose it in the last 10 days... WHat should I eat to avoid gaining but to be energized enough...
A half burns about 1500 cals.

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about your weight until after your race. Just worry about eating enough to give you energy!
  • dmb9p
    dmb9p Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree. I don't know enough to give you concrete advice about exactly what to eat, but I do know that it's more important to make sure your body has all the energy and hydration it needs to get through the race. Worry about your weight after it's over.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Runnersworld.com has great information on this very subject. I have been runnning 1/2 marathons for 4+ years now and any/all information is very subjective! There are many variables that come into play- what time of year - where the event is- your training - your pace, etc. It is very much about trial & error. ..each and every time you run. many people will post what works for them - again - look into a specific running website. You will learn what works for you. BTW - depending on your pace and other extenuating circumtances - you can burn 1500 calories , sometimes more - sometimes less.

BTW - congrats on completing the marathon this past January.!!!! That is a major - cool - accomplishment!!!
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    PASTA! I always used to eat a huge bowl of spaghetti (sp?) before a race!! Worked excellent for me:laugh:
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    In January...was that Rock n Roll Arizona?

For a 1/2 I usually "carbo load" with pasta for lunch the day before. If it's too late in the day I still feel too heavy the next day to run well. I get up around 4 a.m. and have half a bagel with peanut butter and G2 and go back to sleep. That way I am not trying to digest food while running, but still have energy. I know different things work for different people, though.

Good luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am probably running the same race.
    This week I did not worry about “weight loss”. The past few days I made meals that included more pasta & potatoes compared to my normal meals of meat/fish & veggies. My pre-race breakfast will be a small bowl of cereal & some yogurt.

Good luck!
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    Thanks:) I plan for some whole wheat pasta chicken and broccoli over today and throughout tomorrow. Then oatmeal in the morning with bananas. That worked for the marathon.
    I ran the Disney Marathon in Jan. ---

I have not trained as hard for this one. For the marathon I was pretty exact to the Hal Higdon. I have slacked for the Half - hope I dont pay for it!!!!

Good Luck Sunday!