Do You Have This Problem Too?

Options
virden4
virden4 Posts: 4 Member
Hi there everyone. My name is Tracy and I am from Eastern ohio( where by the way it is unusually hot today) I just found my fitness pal the other day. Well here is a short version of my story, I have 2 great boys 15 and 11 and an awesome husband ( our aniversary is next week!) About 2 years ago i lost almost 60 lbs, well over the last year i gained almost 25 of it back YUCK! Well I am now trying to get back on track, I have been walking everyday and doing pilates daily too! So far I have lost about 8 lbs. My problem is my family! They can eat anything they want! Watching the boys eat in the evening is very hard. I understand they are "growing" boys but it is still very hard for me, and they dont understand at all. Does anyone else have this problem? If so how do you handle it?

Replies

• virden4
    virden4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone. My name is Tracy and I am from Eastern ohio( where by the way it is unusually hot today) I just found my fitness pal the other day. Well here is a short version of my story, I have 2 great boys 15 and 11 and an awesome husband ( our aniversary is next week!) About 2 years ago i lost almost 60 lbs, well over the last year i gained almost 25 of it back YUCK! Well I am now trying to get back on track, I have been walking everyday and doing pilates daily too! So far I have lost about 8 lbs. My problem is my family! They can eat anything they want! Watching the boys eat in the evening is very hard. I understand they are "growing" boys but it is still very hard for me, and they dont understand at all. Does anyone else have this problem? If so how do you handle it?
  • paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    as a former "growing boy" i can attest to the fact that they will eat you out of house and home, and probably not be a pound over weight (as long as they are active). my suggestion is just that you be understanding that their bodies need more fuel to sustain their growth on top of their activities. as an adult you aren't growing like that so you don't need as much to sustain you. try thinking of food more as fuel- if you only use up a quarter of a tank, only refill a quarter. your kids are probably running around at full throttle and therefore using up more fuel, therefore the need to eat everything in sight. you don't want to over fill your tank b/c then all the excess is just waste and it overflows. in your body, it may overflow (gross) but more than likely the excess will just be stored up as fat.just keep in mind that it's better to eat to live than live to eat.

that's pretty much all i got. hope it was helpful
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

I don't have children yet but I do watch my fiance eat ANYTHING he wants allllllll day. The beauty of being the woman of the house though, is that I am the cook, if I cook it he will eat it so a lot of his habits have changed but that doesn't change his snacking habits (cookies, a tub of ice cream, buttery popcorn, crackers, chips...) The only thing I can say is dont watch. Leave the room, take a bubble, go for a walk or, if you are really hungry, make yourself a healthy alternative (like if the boys are munching tortillas and creamy dip, fix yourself some raw veggies with salsa to dip). Maybe seeing you eat differently will influence the boys to try a bite. :flowerforyou: good luck
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I have a 17 year old son, he is over 6 foot 1 and I think he has a hollow leg. he can eat just about anything. I watch him eat a pint of ice cream and all sorts of junk food. I find if I keep low calorie stuff like sherbet, or sugar free jello or pudding. I can eat too but it has far less calories then his ice cream. Will power. I make myself think I like mine better. LOL it is not easy sometimes. Once in a while i will eat the ice cream but 1/2 of a half of serving and I make sure I dont go over my calories. I hope you find this helpful. There was a time I was as active as my kids and could eat like they do but not after 40. :flowerforyou:
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    Any time I'm in a tempting situation my mantra becomes "One moment on the lips, forever on the hips". I saw it on a Friends episode and got a kick out of it but it really works! Good luck!