HOW DO I FIND CALORIES???

Help, I'm new to this website and I'm trying to find out where I look to get the calories of various foods I'm eating. There doesn't seem to be a search facility anywhere - not that I can find anywhere, unless I'm being very dense!

Please help!! Gill

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    When you click add food, you see that big empty text box with a big green button next to it that says "SEARCH"? Try that.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    I assume you are talking about looking at a foods calories before you eat it. Am i right? If so you just have to add it to your food diary to see it. Then delete it or make whatever changes you see fit. It is not like weight watchers where you can see the foods calories before you enter it into your log.
  • in the tab FOOD, you have the option to select what meal or snack you're adding something to....

so say you had an apple for a snack, you'd click add food in the snack section....then there will be a box to type in your food.

type apple or Gala apple or red delicious apple or small apple or fuji etc.....and a list of a lot of foods will come up and you scroll thru until you find the appropriate one, check the box, then click ADD FOOD.

Hope this helps
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    I assume you are talking about looking at a foods calories before you eat it. Am i right? If so you just have to add it to your food diary to see it. Then delete it or make whatever changes you see fit. It is not like weight watchers where you can see the foods calories before you enter it into your log.

Actually, you can see the nutritional information before you add it - if you select an item from the drop-down list so it appears on the right hand side of the screen, under the heading (in red) there is a line of blue text which says "nutritional info" Click on that and Bob's yer uncle!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    You can also get to the food database without adding by clicking the 'Food' tab. Then once that opens, directly under it will say 'Database'. Click that, and there you go.
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    I don't now how to weigh and measure lentils. I cooked 250g or raw lentils and that made 4 portions of soup. One portion weighs about 500g - 700g as I've used a lot more water in the soup. So how do I log this?
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    well i stand corrected.

Aliceklarr- i could not figure out what you were talking about. Do you use an app or the internet standerd version?

Supplemama- i am now more educated because of you. I had no idea.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    I don't now how to weigh and measure lentils. I cooked 250g or raw lentils and that made 4 portions of soup. One portion weighs about 500g - 700g as I've used a lot more water in the soup. So how do I log this?

Take the calorie amout of your lentils and divied it with 4. Tata - you have the calories for one portion.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    well i stand corrected.

Aliceklarr- i could not figure out what you were talking about. Do you use an app or the internet standerd version?

Supplemama- i am now more educated because of you. I had no idea.

Glad to help out. Cheers! :smile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member

if the nutrition information is listed for the dry lentils, then that's what you use. food doesn't become more calorie dense when it absorbs water, so if the dry weight was 250g, then the dry weight per portion was 62.5g, even though you've added 500+g to weight with water once cooked.
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    along with all the other info you received, if you input a home made recipe, it will calculate from the ingredients and quantities and no of servings, what the calories per servings is.