Sore after working out...

Options
I've been working out for a couple of days now but I am really sore and don't know if I can keep on going. It's really hard to stay motivated when you aren't feeling great. Any suggestion on what I can do to not be sore after a workout? Should I stop exercising for a while?

Replies

• Iric1783
    Iric1783 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching out properly before and after your workout??
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
  • kritloveshorses
    Options
    Yes, I spend about 5 minutes warming up and stretching before I run and I cool down afterwards.
  • kritloveshorses
    Options
    Thanks firemanfive0 that was a really good site :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Invest in a foam roller/tennis ball for using before/after working out. Eat well, and enough, I find this definitely aids my recovery :)
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Warming up and stretching will help but sometimes you are just going to be sore. I did a new back/shoulders routine yesterday and I'm sore this morning and it will be worse tomorrow (always worse on the 2nd day for me). I recommend ice baths and foam rollers.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I find swimming is a brilliant way to cure muscle stiffness and pain. It's non-impact and the water supports your body. For some reason it takes the ache away for me.

But at the end of the day, the pain is because you are working muscles that are not used to it. The best motivation is that the stronger you get, the less it will hurt. Grit your teeth and get through it and you'll have accomplished something massive.

Best of luck
  • gvdoliver
    gvdoliver Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Really nice link, thanks man
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    SLEEP plenty. Thats when your body repairs the most. And don't forget this is all new stuff and only a few days in. Keep going, dont overdo it, it'll get easier.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    sleep, protein, and just walking when you're that sore!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out you might be making the common mistake of trying to do too much too soon (too far, too fast). Try building up your endurance and letting your body adjust to the running by doing a run/walk routine for a while (one to a few minutes of running followed by a minute of walking, repeat). Definitely scale back the distance for now and add no more than one km every two weeks. SOME soreness is to be expected, though, if you're just starting, or anytime you start something new. When I wake up a little sore I see it as a sign that I've done some good work the day before; if I'm REALLY sore, though, I know I overdid it and will scale things back the next workout.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Stretch a few times throughout the day it will help relieve some of the soreness