I have a few questions for you gym-goers:

What gym do you go to?

How much does it cost?

Most importantly.. Do you like it?

Replies

• esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i go to the gym on base....or i go to the "gym" that my apartment complex has....its a treadmill and kind alike a bowflex machine haha
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    1- American Bodyworks (it's a 24 hour gym)
    2- $20 a month (but it's because I'm not locked into a contract, if I want to leave I can at any time) it's usually $9.99 a month for a 1 year contract.
    3- I love it...it's a bit on the small side, doesn't offer classes, no pool/sauna, ect. But it's because of this that I like it...there are no prissy girls there. The people at the gym I go to are there for a serious workout.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    1. Bally Total Fitness (not 24 hours, but then again I don't work out crazy hours either lol)
    2. $14.50/mth but that's because I finished a 2 yr nationwide contract @ 26.50/mth, but now I'm no longer locked in
    3. Yeah I like it there, plenty of cardio/strength etc. machines so you're not waiting around, plenty of weights, nice pool, hot tub, sauna.....yeah the amenities are pretty good.....I see a pretty diverse group of people, some that are hardcore gym rats, others who are just starting...either way it's a decent environment
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Anytime fitness. It's like $35 a month and the one I go to now is probably twice the size and better equipped than every other anytime I've been to. This one also offers classes every day of the week for free. Some of them cost less (like $25 or so) but you have to pay for the classes you want to take. I think that depends on the owner.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I go to the Squamish Athletic Club, fees for me and my boyfriend is 60$ per month, no initiation ...

It's OK ,... when I lived in The city .. vancouver, I went to Fitness World, for 11 $ a month i could use any of their 24 locations ... they had free classes every hour, and hte change of scenery was nice ... I miss my old gym :(

We do have a personal trainer up here, who we love! So that's a plus. We only go to the gym days we meet her, we normally like to do outside activities, snowboarding, hiking, tennis, softball, volleyball
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Northeast Courthouse, $55, and I like it. When I first signed up it was because I thought they were going to have a programs there I was interested in. After I signed-up they took the program to another the gym and that pissed me off really bad. Since then its been okay they offer all the amenities of gym (sauna, free classes for members, available personal trainers, massages, tanning beds, gym machines) The only thing I really don't like about it is they don't have nuitrionist or can't even recommend one and they don't have the quipment or person who can perform a real body fat analysis test. and they can't recommend anybody. However they do open at about 4am which is perfect for me because that's what time I workout
  • LaurenH2010
    Options
    I go to a gym called Anytime fitness. It is about $35 a month and I like it well enough. It is on the small side but it is 24hrs which I do like. It does not have a swimming pool or any classes offered. I don't mind not having the classes but swimming is such a great workout that offers low impact on your body while working everything so I am a little disappointed with that. Overall I suggest deciding what is important to you and finding a gym that offers that at a price you can afford. Are you self motivated? Do you have a buddy to workout with and if so what gym are they interested in? Will you be more more motivated by the variety that classes offer or would you prefer to create your own routine? Hope this helps at least a little :smile:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Premier Fitness $300 for the year. They have a ton of equipement, a pool, lots of classes and a steam room.

It isn't very well maintained though and a lot of equipemnt needs tuning up.

My old gym was Fitness Fanatix and I liked it but there was no pool
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Options
    I got to Curves because its the only gym near me and I like the ladies there. Membership costs anywhere from $25-$45 a month depending on the Curves you sign up at.. but there's a free nation-wide travel pass with that so when I go home, I just "borrow" my home gym. I lost almost all of my weight (100 lbs down) by going to Curves.. and in fact, I'm just about to go work out now. :]
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    The Fitness Institute - $70/month. It's indulgent...but my hubby pointed out that it amounts to a coffee a day....
    They have a pool, sauna's and hot tub. A women's only gym as well as the main gym, spin classes and tons of general classes included. They also have squash and (if you pay a higher membership fee) tennis.
    They are a National team training facility so a lot of high level athletes train there; however, it is a very long established old school health club, so there a lots of middle aged men and women of all levels of ability as well, so it doesn't feel elite. The benefit of being athlete centered is that they have personal trainers and on-the-floor gym coaches who are well trained and very available to show you how to use the equipment or guide you on form, etc. In fact, at one point, when I complained about a knot in my calf from overdoing it the day before, the coach spent about 20 minutes doing a proper massage and stretching.
    There is also a full roster of health professionals - sports Dr., nutritionists, chiro, etc. that are affiliated and in the building, so you can get appointments (for a fee...) if you have anyone you want to see.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I go to a Crossfit gym ("box") and pay $50/month. Some boxes are more expensive depending on location/demand. Every day for three days we have a different workout, and then take a rest day. Some people come just 3 days a week, as well. The owner/trainer works with everyone individually as needed. You don't need an appointment. You say, "Hey Debbie, can you watch my form on this lift?" and she does.

We have no A/C and no treadmills. We do have an erg (indoor rower) and lots of barbells and weights, and a few other workstations for back extension/GHD situps. Each of the 6 workstations also has a pullup bar.

I love my gym.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I go to a Crossfit gym ("box") and pay $50/month. Some boxes are more expensive depending on location/demand. Every day for three days we have a different workout, and then take a rest day. Some people come just 3 days a week, as well. The owner/trainer works with everyone individually as needed. You don't need an appointment. You say, "Hey Debbie, can you watch my form on this lift?" and she does.

We have no A/C and no treadmills. We do have an erg (indoor rower) and lots of barbells and weights, and a few other workstations for back extension/GHD situps. Each of the 6 workstations also has a pullup bar.

I love my gym.

Crossfit is great! Our local Crossfit Gym is 135$ a month ... cannot afford that :( I'ts more than my car insurance and fuel for a month combined! Amazing work outs though!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    What gym do you go to?

The one I own.
    How much does it cost?

Lots in the beginning. Now nothing.
    Most importantly.. Do you like it?

Love it.

:)

So much so I'm building another one.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Some crossfits are great. Many are horrendous in terms of what they allow to go on in terms of exercise form and programming.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I go to Las Vegas Atheletic Club. Monthly fees are anywhere from $19-31/month. I pay the highest since I have my 2 kids signed up for the daycare and I can meet once a month with a trainer to have my bodyfat tested.

I love the gym. Has a women's only area, free weights, machines, tons and tons of every kind of cardio machine (never a wait), 3 fitness rooms for classes (incl spin, zumba, kickboxing, bootcamp, body combat, body pump.... you name, they have it!). It's open 365 days/year and 24 hrs per day. THe kids club is a licensed daycare as well.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Some crossfits are great. Many are horrendous in terms of what they allow to go on in terms of exercise form and programming.

And this differs from any other gym how? ;-)
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I go to the YMCA.. It has everything I want and then some. I pay $54/month and there's no contract. The best part... I can go to any Y in any town. I love it!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    And this differs from any other gym how? ;-)

Touche.

However, Crossfit has a sycophantic following which perpetuates a piss poor message. Other gyms just suck on their own merit.
  • seventeenlucky77
    seventeenlucky77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness.. $20 a month for Black Card membership (meaning I get massage chairs, tanning, can bring a friend and can go to any Planet Fitness to workout). I love it. It's the home of the "Judgment Free Zone". Some people complain about it but I like knowing I can go in and feel comfortable working out at my own pace. The staff at the 2 locations I frequent are super friendly and they offer group and personal training sessions.