Six Flags

Options
My husband and I are going to be at Six Flags tomorrow for 6 hours. I was just wondering what the best way to try to figure calories burned would be. I don't have a monitor so I'm needing suggestions on what the best way to categorize that would be. I did 6 hours of walking--slow pace bc I know that we will be burning calories while standing in line even if we aren't moving. Does that seem reasonable? Also I stuck those figures in and it says that I will burn about 1100 calories...Does that seem right? I would love any suggestions. Thanks!

Cayla

Replies

• kristelagarcia
    kristelagarcia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think your daily calorie suggestion takes into account idle time (such as sitting, standing, things like that) so what I would do is if you're going to be there for 6 hours, you might want to track 3-4hours of ACTUAL walking instead of the whole 6. I tend to under count exercise calories and over count eating calories to keep me within reasonable ranges.

Just a thought :)

Have fun!
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I might drop it down to like 4.5 hours of the walking. I prefer to error on the side of caution. There will be times when you are sitting (on rides or on a bench) so I wouldn't think that you would be walking the whole 6 hrs. Either way, if you are going on coasters, I'm sure that will get the heart pumping :-) Have a great day at the park!
  • Always_lil_j
    Options
    I think your daily calorie suggestion takes into account idle time (such as sitting, standing, things like that) so what I would do is if you're going to be there for 6 hours, you might want to track 3-4hours of ACTUAL walking instead of the whole 6. I tend to under count exercise calories and over count eating calories to keep me within reasonable ranges.

Just a thought :)

Have fun!

I agree with this. Much better to under count cals burned than to overcount them
  • robyndanielle3
    robyndanielle3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1) You won't be walking the full 6 hours you are there.
    2) Don't count "time standing in line"

If I were you, I'd seriously record that I was walking for 2-3 hours -- maybe!
    I only burned 1100 calories running for 3.5 hours - that just doesn't seem like it could be the same!

Heart monitor is definitely the best way to figure it out...
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, download a pedometer and calculate from the number of steps you walk.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Try this estimate: Last time I was at Six Flags, I kept my phone (with a pedometer based off my height, weight and age) in my pocket the whole time. I ended up walking 5 miles and was there all day... that includes riding a TON of rides and waiting in line for rides. SO, you could do an average of that, calculate it by your weight and then round that number down just to underestimate.