Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Too much protien?

I've been eating a lot of turkey and chicken for my meals as they're leaner meats, but they take my grams for protien over my daily budget. Is it bad to have too much protien?

Replies

• BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    If you dont exercise then protein will be broken down into fat. Not as quickly as pure fat, obviously, but it'll happen. If you exercise regularly I wouldnt worry about going over your intended protein intake a little bit.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    If you dont exercise then protein will be broken down into fat. Not as quickly as pure fat, obviously, but it'll happen. If you exercise regularly I wouldnt worry about going over your intended protein intake a little bit.

If your overeating sure, but going over the protein number MFP sets for you is no big deal and you should probably be eating more protein as it is. Eating more calories than you burn a day will make you put fat on.. not just eating more protein.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Depending on your goals, it doesn't matter. MFP usually sets protein goal WAY too low... I'm averaging between 140-160g/day (my goal is to build muscle...) but while I was in my fat loss phase, I was doing around 80g/day. Your body needs protein while losing weight to maintain muscle. If you keep it balanced with your other macros, it won't hurt. Odds are, you're doing your body good. Don't let people get you freaked out about it turning into fat unless you're eating as much as I am in a day without exercising. THEN you might have a problem.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    How much protein are we talking about?

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    You are fine. Just drink plenty of water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Protein is important and it's not going to get broken down into fat while you are at a deficit...actually, when you're at a deficit it's even that much more important to get your protein to preserve lean mass. MFP's default macro setting are pretty high carb and low protein/fat. You can manually set your macro goals if it bothers you...I started with a 50/25/25 and am now doing a 40/30/30. You should shoot for .8-1G per Lb of lean body mass...for me, that's around 140 grams.
  • Suefy76
    Suefy76 Posts: 1 Member
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm constantly going over my protein intake. I do good on staying under my caloric intake most days so I didn't think it would be too big of an issue. I never realized how many foods have protein, including fruits.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    You need to work out your Macros

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&page=1

You should be eating 1g of Protein per lb of Lean Body Mass

I consume roughly 200g a day.

MFP sets everyone's protein to like 50g which is way too low
  • Protein keeps you fuller, but also keeps your IGF-1 levels high which isn't ideal for other health reasons.
  • I'm supposed to be on a high protein, high fat diet.... told to drink LOADS of water... at least 4 L
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Protein is important and it's not going to get broken down into fat while you are at a deficit...actually, when you're at a deficit it's even that much more important to get your protein to preserve lean mass. MFP's default macro setting are pretty high carb and low protein/fat. You can manually set your macro goals if it bothers you...I started with a 50/25/25 and am now doing a 40/30/30. You should shoot for .8-1G per Lb of lean body mass...for me, that's around 140 grams.

I do 40/30/30 too we must be awesome.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    I think like everything else, you're going to find a multitude of studies that all contradict one another. I don't worry too much about going over protein. I'm probably one of the few that doesn't worry too much about sodium either - but that's because I drink 12-15 glasses of water a day and even on days I go over, I don't see any significant issues. :)
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member

Its actually 1g per 1kg of body wieght...not 1lb, thats just a marketing scheme used by supplement companies to persaude you to use more of their product. MFP is likely basing their macro distribution from several studies which show that the average person requires about 1g per 1kg of protien for a healthy diet. Studies have also shown that an increase in protien intake produces no significant gain in muscular strength except in very heavy resistance trainers (i.e. bodybuilders and strongmen) and people new to resistance training (but this effect or protien only lasts for a few weeks because the body quickly becomes efficient in protein use for repair of skeletal muscle).

Moreover using 1g per pound of body weight means that your body will be metabolizing the excess protein instead of using it for muscle repair....

Long story short, its fine if you eat over your protein limit (within reason), but it is unnecessary, your body will heal just fine without it.
  • dz_rn
    dz_rn Posts: 1
    Is there a way to change the macros goals in mfp?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    My nutritionist has my macro settings at 50/30/20, which equates to around 90grams a day. I like protein so I go over sometimes. Just a word of advice, the more protein you eat the more water you should drink for digestive reasons :)
  • DeanBurrows

Its actually 1g per 1kg of body wieght...not 1lb, thats just a marketing scheme used by supplement companies to persaude you to use more of their product.

Recent research shows that the RDA doesn't appear to meet the needs of exercising adults. One of the top researchers in this field, Dr Peter Lemon, stated in a recent review paper that, "the RDA for those engaged in strength training should be about 1.7 - 1.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body mass per day". Dr Lemon came to this conclusion after citing several studies (Fern, 1991, Tarnopolsky et al., 1992) which used amounts of protein ranging from 1.3 - 3.3 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

At Kent University researchers tested 3 different groups of people:

- On a low protein diet which was 0.9 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

- Another group eating 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

- A group eating 2.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

Both sedentary and strength training groups were involved. The results showed that 1.4 grams resulted in protein synthesis while there were no changes in the low protein group and, finally, the group that ingested 2.4 grams of protein did not see any more increased protein synthesis than the 1.4 grams of protein group

So with that said, it is actually nearer to 0.8g/lb of bodyweight or 1.7g/kg of bodyweight, therefore making 1g per LBM even more correct.

and by following your calculations a 200lb (90kg) person should be eating only 90g of protein instead of the recommended 153g by Dr Peter Lemon?

Granted 1.7g/hg of bodyweight is aimed at strength training people, but pretty much everyone who wants to look good on here is doing strength training anyway.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    It is extremely doubtful that you are actually going over your protein needs, and DO ignore what MFP says you should be getting. For example, I'm 5'5" and 157, 35 yo and lift every other day. My daily protein goal is 165, which I find very hard to hit without supplementation, and I'm a big meat eater too.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member

Where did you get this information? Excess calories are turned into fat. Dietary fat also doesn't equal body fat.

Going over the default protien settings for MFP is fine as they are set pretty low. Protein keeps you feel full, longer... it helps muscle repair after workouts... it helps to build muscles/preserve muscle.

I believe the only time extra protein is harmful is when you take in far too much which can cause kidney stones... however I could be wrong so if I am someone please correct me.
  • DeanBurrows

Where did you get this information? Excess calories are turned into fat. Dietary fat also doesn't equal body fat.

Going over the default protien settings for MFP is fine as they are set pretty low. Protein keeps you feel full, longer... it helps muscle repair after workouts... it helps to build muscles/preserve muscle.

I believe the only time extra protein is harmful is when you take in far too much which can cause kidney stones... however I could be wrong so if I am someone please correct me.

Pretty much 400-500g of Protein a day would do that lol