Bad Headaches!!

Options
Hi everyone! :)

I was just looking for advice on something...
I use to do enough exercise to lose 500-600 calories a day and now I'm losing 1500+ per day.
Except now, I'm starting to get these really bad headaches!
Does anybody know if maybe I'm exercising too much and that's causing it? If so, is there something I can do to stop getting headaches from so much exercise?

Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks guys xo

Replies

• akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    probably #1 you are not drinking enough water!!
    and #2 you should eat back some of your calories so that you have around a 1000 calorie deficit each day

your body is not getting the fuel it needs - headaches are often an indication of dehydration and or lack of essential nutrients.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    and #2 you should eat back some of your calories so that you have around a 1000 calorie deficit each day

your body is not getting the fuel it needs - headaches are often an indication of dehydration and or lack of essential nutrients.

^^ This
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to up your water and calories.

If you are a soda drinker they can also cause headaches.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I agree with the others, drink more water and make sure you are eating enough. Also, if you are consuming artificial sweetners, they may be adding to it. I get HORRIBLE headaches if I don't watch how much of the artificial sweetners I eat. I used to have them all the time, but when I quit drinking sodas (I LOVED my diet coke), I noticed a few months later that I wasn't having headaches anymore. I didn't put it together until about 2 years ago I figured out that my grandmother sweetened her tea with sweat n' low, and every time I left her house I had a headache. I drink water or make sure I set some tea aside to drink unsweetened when I go to her house now and I haven't had a headache since.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options

^^ This

^^^ thirding this. Eat enough to fuel your body, and drink plenty of water. Or cut back the exercise.

I just scrolled through your diary. Eating as little as you are (unless you're just not logging everything) wouldn't even be enough if you weren't exercising at all. You should be eating MINIMUM 1200 calories a day. More if you're working out. And, if you're looking to lose weight, you need to be making healthy choices. Make sure you're getting plenty of fruit and veggies and lean proteins.

When you eat as little as you are and then workout to burn 1500 calories your body goes into starvation mode, which means that instead of losing weight it thinks you're starving and will cling to every last molecule of fat it can so that it can sustain itself. This keeps you from losing weight, and the longer you do it the more difficult it will make it for you to lose weight in the future. It is detrimental to your health and will lower your body's metabolism.
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Same here, you could not be having enough water. Sometimes when I have a headache I will drink a bottle or two of water and it will go away. Also, like someone said, I used to have a headache almost every day. I stopped drinking artificial sweeteners and eating overly processed foods (like lean cuisine dinners, etc.) and I rarely get them now.
  • Demonicdanii
    Demonicdanii Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank-you. I log absolutely everything I eat into my diary.

I've heard about starvation mode before, it's just difficult at the moment to afford all the healthy food that my body needs. This means that the house is usually stocked with junk food instead, so I figure to even it out I should eat much much less than the recommended calorie intake.

My mind has a weird way of thinking about weight loss :s Maybe I'm just weird!

Thank-you for the advice nonetheless - it was very helpful!
  • CornellGirl
    CornellGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree - perhaps you need to drink more fluids - or low sodium soup (broth based) to supplement your caloric demands.

You could be over-exercising...but maybe your body is just adjusting to a strenuous workout regime and needs time to acclimate - thus the headaches. Are you doing weight-bearing exercises (like running (not elliptical))?

As for medications, when I get headaches Advil (not Tylenol) works really well within a half hour.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    you are going into a slight hypoglycemic state. there is no more sugar in your blood/muscles to fuel your 1500 calorie workout session. Since the brain runs on carbs (assuming you are not on a low carb diet), you will get headaches.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I agree with water, might want to throw in a 60 calorie coconut water in there too for electrolytes
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Working out the way you are and consuming 800 calories a day is flat out dangerous. Your body is telling you something so I would listen