Looking for mfpal friends for a nursing student!

Options
Hello. :). My name is Heather. I am from New york. I am 25 years old and in nursing school currently. I know this site is focused a lot around losing weight and I think everyone here wants to lose weight but it isn't my main focus. Sure. Who doesn't want to fit into their old jeans? But my inspiration is strength. As a to-be LPN I need to be able to have a lot of energy and be able to help lift and take care of other people. It is so important for me to gain muscle and be able to keep up with a vigerous schedule.

Right now I am not strong enough to walk for long periods of time without having severe feet pain or mild back pain. This is going to be a huge issue for me if I want to be successful at my career path. I have difficulty even lifting my books let alone helping someone in and out of a wheelchair or in and out of bed. I get tired very easily right now. I take a nap during the day for the most part.

My goal is to be able to gain some muscle. Gaining muscle and weight loss goes hand in hand if you think about it because it increases my metabolism. I need to be able to keep my stamina up so I can go along my day without feeling extremely exosted and worn down. I'm having a lot of back issues and feet issues and sometimes my right knee gives me trouble so with muscle and some weight loss I can be able to be in less pain.

I have a few things against me on this journey. I love sweets. I also am a 5 a day smoker. I love food and it's going to be hard for me to manage my intake. But I am willing to try. Also I have hypothyroidism which even with medication gives me a disadvantage with my metabolism.

So who wants to be friends and see me through my life change? :) Add me!

Replies

• lauradawson1123
    Options
    Hey I am an RN student and trying to loose weight with some focus on endurance. I have been working up my run intervals and would like to run a half-marathon later this year. Balancing a healthy life is really hard with the nursing school work load but we can do it! ps you should focus on your body mechanics when you are lifting pts and when you are performing any procedures raise the bed to save your back, you only get one back. I'll add you :)
  • tonums1977
    tonums1977 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the site too, My name is Toni, I am a Registered Nurse for 7 years. I have about 60-70 pounds to lose :-( which feels like an impossible task. Our hospital is hosting an ultimate loser competition, and of course, right after weigh in, I got the flu, then bronchitis, lol. So, I've been outta work for over a week and missed the first weigh in, which is great, since I havent been to the gym or watched what I ate. IDK if you are only interested in nursing student friends, but I'd like to help! Nursing is a great career in that you will always have a job. I could work 7 days a week if I wanted (which I don't) the downside is the hours are long and stressful and that doesnt help weight loss.

And Laura, you are 100% right. SAVE YOUR BACK. Don't be a hero, if you hurt yourself you can't work. I have had MANY patients try to grab onto my neck to steady themselves, or grab my shoulder when they get unsteady. I stop them immediatly. I try not to let my pts fall, but if they are going down, you aren't gonna stop them, just help them down.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm also a nursing student. I have about 80-100 pounds to lose. Feel free to add me! Good luck on you career!

~Mindy
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I'm also an RN; I went to school at 40 to get it, right after a horrible divorce and with two smallish kids while working full time (yeah, I don't know what I was thinking). Even with all that, I was one of the top students in my class.

You can do this. If you can, get an exercise mat and start doing exercises now to strengthen your back (you can google what exercises to do).
  • asiansarentsupposedtobefat
    Options
    RN here! 25 years old. Ill be your friend. Got over 100 to lose.
  • mb1127
    mb1127 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm a student nurse too. No time to exercise, no time or money to cook. It's kind of ironic how bad our eating habits are given that we talk to patients all the time about nutrition. That's when I decided to lose weight. Practice what you preach right! Good Luck.
  • changingforthegood
    Options
    Hey, I am Brooke, I am a full time mother, and I am a Pre-Med Student.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Student finishing up medical school - about 60 pounds down so far hopped on here to get the last 35-40 off, add me!
  • suzilks1
    Options
    I recently started back to school at 48 to live my dream of becoming a nurse. I'm finishing up pre-reqs now and will be applying in the Fall for the actual program. It's a challenge being a mom and older student and also trying to regain my health and fitness but I am GOING to do this! Feel free to add me. I could use the encouragement as well! :)
  • AngelJLV83
    AngelJLV83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing student. I feel your pain of having NO TIME to exercise or cook or ANYTHING!! Feel free to add me.
  • ambre66
    ambre66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I graduated from LPN school last Sept.so I know how tough it is. I'm starting the RN program soon-yikes! You're welcome to add me!
  • crazymotherof3
    crazymotherof3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been a nurse for 17 years now....Whoa! What a reality check, but I can still rememeber being in nursing school working as a tech on a geriatric med-surg floor emptying a foley cath bag into a urinal for the shift's I & O's and thinking to myself, "OMG....I have 2 more years of this crap", and now I am 17 years past nursing school and it feels like yesterday. With that said, I leave you with these thoughts....I, too, know what it is like being a nursing student and trying to balance school, family, exercise, and overall wellness. It is hard, but it CAN be done!!!! Plan ahead...keep a diary...focus, focus, focus on your outcome goals. If you fall off the wagon for one day, get back up, dust yourself off, and start over with vengeance! Good Luck on your journey.
  • miamoe15
    miamoe15 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just started Nursing school last week! Add me! :)