chromium picolinate

lucabella
lucabella Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I hit a plateau a while ago and was completely discouraged. Today i went and bought some Chromium Picolinate because I've read that it may help with weight loss. I was wonding if any currently takes this supplement, if so how much do you take? I have 200mg pills. Recommended dosage says one per day with, but studies I've read recommend 400mg per day. Help, how do you take yours?

Thanks.

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    I can't use the stuff. I get major jitters, and than I fall asleep! lol Try taking the minimum dosage first just to see how you feel. I think your supposed to start small and work your way up to a couple per serving?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I have read numerous studies on this, it seems the first results were a red herring and unless you are deemed Chromium deficient by your doctor (which most people of western culture are not), it really won't have much of an effect on weight loss.

Here is a compilation and summary written up that analyzes 20 of these studies.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/76/1/148

the GOOD news is that chromium, even taken at high doses, has not proven to be dangerous in any way (according to the article, written by Michelle D Althuis), so that's a relief to know.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I take Natural Factor's Chromium GTF, 500 mcg at least 3 times daily with my meals. I read that it helps metabolise carbs and fats and support a healthy glucose metabolism, which I am in dire need of being insulin resistant.
    Does it help? I don't know - I'm also taking an Rx called Glumetza.
    I've been finally losing weight - not hoards of weight, but more than I've lost in the past year (3 pounds in 4.5 weeks).
  • thanks for all your info!
This discussion has been closed.