Question about butter

Options
So I put a couple tablespoons of butter in my boiling water today to cook rice so that it would not stick. This is kind of a dumb question but do I count the butter calories? I'm guessing yes but I am praying no. haha :) I just wanted to know before I submit my food tonight. Thanks!

Replies

• raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    yes, count the butter.

where do you think the calories go from the butter? they go onto the rice, which you are eating. ergo, you are eating the butter.
  • megan826
    megan826 Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok. What can I use for a butter substitute?
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    hmm maybe some spray butter (chemicals though- your choice) or Pam on the sides of the cooker?

or olive oil- still calorie dense but better for you fats

or nothing!
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    if you're cooking your rice by the absorption method, don't add anything, just fluff the grains with a fork after leaving to stand for a few minutes.
    If you're boiling and draining, so long as you're using enough water, you don't need to add anything.
    Steaming it is good too, but takes longer.

Remember to wash your rice well before you cook it, that will help stop it sticking also.
  • megan826
    megan826 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions!
  • minus15go
    minus15go Posts: 27
    Options
    I use Smart Balance, or you could try some other sort of vegan butter substitute. And Olive oil is also a healthy alternative to butter, in moderation.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    butter is the devil, pure saturated fat. :devil: :devil: :laugh:
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here they all use semneh (clarified butter) or solid vegetable fat. I'm concerned about the sat fat in the semneh and the hydrogenated fats in the vegetable fat. So I usually use a little vegetable/corn/sunflower oil, or like a previous poster olive oil. No fat/oil at all is probably better for you, but the addition gives the rice a nicer texture.
    I wash the rice first so to stop it sticking and leave it to soak for a few minutes before draining and adding to boiling water. Usually 1.5 cups water to 1 cup of rice, reduce water a little if cooking large amounts - more than 5 cups.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I use Smart Balance Heart Start Light Butter Spread. It's the best alternative for me because I don't use butter a lot so if the butter stays in my fridge, it gets gross.