broke my plateau!

Options
Hello all,
My name is Kelsey and i'm 21 years old. Over the last year and a half i've managed to gain 20 lbs. After dieting and exercising i've managed to lose a few, but hit a plateau at 139 lbs. For 4 days i've been doing atkins (i haven't been too strict with it on portions and such, but have completely cut out breads, pastas, rice, etc) and i've lost 3.8 lbs in 4 days. I know this is water weight due to the lack of carbs, but I'm just so excited to have broken past those numbers!

Enjoy your day!

Replies

• eatright2013
    eatright2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelsey-- Way to go. I have done the Atkins program in the past and lost a lot of weight. What I learned from it is that I need to stay away from carbs in order to lose weight. This time I am not eliminating my carbs but just trying to eat healthy and cut back on the bad carbs. The thing I didn't like about Atkins was you had to cut out fruit and some veggies.

My thoughts are whatever works for you is what you need to do. Glad you are heading in the right direction on the scales. Keep it up.

Sharon
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Carbs are an issue for me as well and high protein works when I'm trying to get over a plateau--Kudos!
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Great Job
  • KelseyWood91
    Options
    Hi Kelsey-- Way to go. I have done the Atkins program in the past and lost a lot of weight. What I learned from it is that I need to stay away from carbs in order to lose weight. This time I am not eliminating my carbs but just trying to eat healthy and cut back on the bad carbs. The thing I didn't like about Atkins was you had to cut out fruit and some veggies.

My thoughts are whatever works for you is what you need to do. Glad you are heading in the right direction on the scales. Keep it up.

Sharon

I have cut fruits, but this is only for another week. I haven't cut veggies though. I know the diet calls for it but I don't have the time or schedule to cook special meals for myself every day, so i've been eating tons of veggies and meat and some cheese. Mainly the only difference is that i'm eating less carbs (about 40/day), and more veggies and protein. I'm amazed at the weightloss so far, and couldn't imagine how much better it would be if I followed Atkins 100%

Either way, I'm glad i've finally found something my body reacts to.

I've tried low calorie, exercising an hour a day, etc. Nothing broke my plateau, until now! :)
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Honestly: all you lost was water weight. You didn't lose any fat. So you dehydrated yourself. You have to really put in the work. Diets are trends. And trends always end bad. You have to make the life style change by eating healthier and working out. Be realistic. Just a word of advice, you don't want to gain and then some.( I've tried it before) your body needs carbs... Think of your body as a car and food like fuel. Besides you need the good carbs... Not the fast food or processed kind. Happy healthy hunting. Don't diet just make the change. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have always done well on High protein low carb, but it's hard to follow for me. The first time i did after having my second child I lost 17 pounds the 1st month. Now I just eat better carbs and less of them.