calories earnt confusion :-o

Options
Hi,

I have recently got the Endomodo app. It's great for tracking when and out and at home and is personal to you. Even better it's syncs staight to MFP.
I'm confused though because the calories earned (used) are double that of the same exercise than MFP gives. Which one should i go by??

Thanks to anyone who can help

;-)

Replies

• nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'd say average them?! I really don't know. The cals given are just an estimation. If you want to get an accurate cal reading, I recommend getting a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. Those will read your cals burned based on some scientific method of which I am unaware. It's an expense...but well worth it! Polar and sportline both make good products. Check ebay!

Best wishes!
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't take into account Heart Rate.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    While I think it's cool that Endomondo auto-updates to MFP, I think most GPS apps vastly over estimate calories burned. The suggestion to average them is a good one! I usually just go with the MFP number and enter in manually for walking and running though. As long as you're in the ballpark it's fine.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    MFP doesn't take into account Heart Rate.

Neither does Endomondo unless OP is using a bluetooth HRM.
  • krinipoos
    krinipoos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i was thinking about just taking the average. But in that case what is the point of using that app to start with if i'm going to ignore what it says. I can upgrade it so that it measures heartrate. Maybe i should do that and then compare again.
    Such a shame i like linking the two together.

Thanks guys ;-)