Anyone starting Couch 2 5K?

Options
Hi - I just started this program last night, and thought if others were just starting, or thinking of starting we could support each other. I downloaded an app on my iPod called 5K Runner - it takes all the work out of thinking of timing etc. It works with your music, and notifies you when it's time to run or walk. I'm pretty excited. Last night I did 8 1 minute jogs and I did get pretty bad shin splints. I'm hoping that will go away once my shins wake up and realize they're needed again! :) Anyone else out there looking to start the Couch 2 5K?

Replies

• bootcey
    bootcey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just finished Week 1 Day 3. The one minute runs were tough for me. I am thinking about repeating week 1 before moving on to week 2. Add me as a friend, we can support each other.

For the shin splints, be aware of how your foot is landing when you run; not to much on your toes or on your heels; go for an even mid food land: read that some where

Good luck to you.
  • hrls83
    hrls83 Posts: 46
    Options
    im working on trying it... I want to do w1d1 today but its so cold outside! I wish I had an indoor track to go to lol! I will get it done though! I am a new quitter of smoking so I might repeat week one if I find im having trouble.
  • coldspringheadmomma
    Options
    Just went out and did week 1 run 1. I went out last night and did week 1 run 1 as well, but didn't log it in my app so I'll count tonight as my first run. I wouldn't exactly call it a run, but it was definitely a jog. I got bad shin splints again tonight, but my husband (who's a runner) gave me some guidance on how to run and position my feet. I'm super energized about this....hoping to stick to it. I figure if I can go out tonight, when it's minus 10 degrees out there (minus 15 with the wind chill factor), I should be able to stick to this thing! :)
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    There is a couch to 5k group on this site. Great site for support, tips and tricks :)
  • aulisse
    aulisse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it today!! Where is the group for this? It would be great to join for extra motivation!
  • jenesnow
    jenesnow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday! I would love a little extra motivation. One question, do you think I could just walk on my non running days?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Finished week 1, starting week too perhaps tonight.

I agree with the poster above who is repeating week one. The first time I did C25K I was fine until about week 3 and then ran into some workouts i could not do. I just repeated that workout once or twice more until I felt comfortable then I moved on.

listen to what your body is telling you and you will be successful with this program. Good luck all. There is a C25K group on here where you can find some support too.
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm starting today! I would love to have a group of people that are starting around the same time. Feedback and motivation is what is keeping me going right now.

Add me for support!
  • hbarnes89
    Options
    I just started today! I'm using an app on my android called Run Double and it seems very similar - talks over Pandora while I run, tells me when to run/brisk walk/cool down. I ran cross country in high school a good five years ago; I didn't know how hard it would be to get back into running! There is a Color Me Rad run here in March and I'd love to be in shape enough to do it! Granted, I run on an indoor track because my neighborhood is not safe, but something is better than nothing!

Please add me as a friend C25K peeps! I'd love to be held accountable by others in the program!
  • jolenelf
    jolenelf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just started week three. So far so good! I did the C25K program a few years ago and it really works! Good luck, take your time and listen to your body!
  • kumanekochan
    kumanekochan Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to start up because of all of the timing, I wanted to thank you for recommending the app! I'll be starting soon! THANK YOU!!!!
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started for the first time yesterday and I did ok. It hurt my knees and shins a bit though, my mom showed me how to use her foam roller to help with that.
  • writer_chick
    writer_chick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I want to start tomorrow morning. I just decided this today because I'm tired of being unhealthy and feeling yucky every time I want to buy new clothes. I gained weight a couple of years ago, lost it, and have gained a lot of it back. It's mainly because I'm sedentary--at my desk all day. Are people still doing this? I'm new, but wanted to hop in on this thread. :)
  • haybreez02
    Options
    I'm starting I have my first 5k run in May.
  • writer_chick
    writer_chick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did my first day this morning! I have to say, it totally. Kicked. My. *kitten*. I didn't know I was THIS out of shape. Obviously I knew I was ten pounds overweight (above the baseline that someone of my height should be--I'd like to lose way more than that, though), but WOW. I saw spots, my chest was hurting, my ears were hurting from the cold...it was awful. But I pushed through. I really hope this gets easier soon, because I'm not sure I can keep it up at that amount of discomfort. BUT! This is what helped me: "The body can take almost anything. It's the mind that needs convincing." And I also kept telling myself, "Hey, you pushed two kids out. This is nothing." Ha! :D
  • nikki_mar
    nikki_mar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm using the 5K runner app too! I did Week 1 day 1 and then had sciatic pain so about 1 week later (which was last night) I continued to Week 1 Day 2. I can't keep starting over. A couple of weeks earlier, I had a head cold so that stopped my progress. My first 5k is in April. I can't waste any more days if I want to finish this training. I'm also running on the treadmill for now until the weather breaks. Then I'll hit the college track.