Stronglifts Help

Options
Hey everyone, could use some advice. I am getting back into a proper weight training program after putzing around making up my own routines for a while and not seeing the results I wanted. I am really impressed with the successes shown by others here who are using Stronglifts, but I have trouble doing sets of 5 reps at a suffeciently heavy weight. An old shoulder injury seems to enjoy revisiting any time I lift heavy enough to do 5 sets of 5, but it doesn't cause any issues when I stay in the 8-10 rep range. Has anyone had any success using the Stronglifts schedule, but doing 8-10 rep sets instead? Other suggestions?

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to build muscle or get stronger?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean. Can you do an empty bar @ 5x5? If so, start there and work your way up.
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ideally build muscle, I think. I am pretty happy with my weight, but not the appearance. I slimmed down and remained jiggly, if that makes sense.
  • schmidty13
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean. Can you do an empty bar @ 5x5? If so, start there and work your way up.

It's not doing the weight that is the issue. I can successfully do 5x5 with more weight than just the bar. It's that when doing that weight it seems to aggravate something in my shoulder (pain, not soreness). If I lift to just under failure at a weight that I can rep 8-10 times I end up with soreness, but not the pain. Does that clear things up a bit?
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My shoulder really bothers me too. BB press or OH presses etc.. really gets me on the first set or two. I have used some shoulder exercises w/very light weights to warm up that help some. Yesterday i actually did a few sets of 15 on a machine with light weight to pyramid my way up to 5 sets of 6 w/free weights. DB press dont really bother it except the initial lift when i lay back. Next time im going to try some warm ups with resistance bands or heat and see how that goes. Dont want to smell like Icy Hot tho... Bottom line, i can still go heavy but it takes me longer to get there. My pain tapers off as i get past 2-3 sets. Im no doctor but If your pain continues or gets worse as you lift heavier, i would go lighter with more reps. A serious injury could cost you a few months in rehab if not careful.
  • Luckydrd
    Luckydrd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started out with Stronglifts in the beginning (5x5). After a few months, I switched to Mark Ripptoes Starting Strength (3x5) which works just as well.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

It's not doing the weight that is the issue. I can successfully do 5x5 with more weight than just the bar. It's that when doing that weight it seems to aggravate something in my shoulder (pain, not soreness). If I lift to just under failure at a weight that I can rep 8-10 times I end up with soreness, but not the pain. Does that clear things up a bit?

I think what firerock means is that you have to start over. Just do 5 X 5, at a weight that does not give you pain. Then increase at the prescribed rate (5 pounds usually), unless you feel pain. If you feel pain, get used to doing that weight for another week or so and try again.
    If you can do 8 to 10 reps at the pain-free weight then just do that, until you can move up to a 5-rep weight pain free. I have had some pain issues and I did the lower weight, higher-reps thing until it got better.
    It will for you too, unless there is something seriously wrong. Sometimes you just cannot work to failure on every set. You work until you are almost there. You can still make strength gains.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    When I first started with StrongLifts I got to a point where I was feeling a hot almost electric pain in my left shoulder. I stopped doing StrongLifts for a while and just filled in using nautilus machines, etc. and then when I felt I was ready I went back to the StrongLifts schedule. Since then, the pain has not returned and I just take my time with the increases in weight.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you just want to build size, you could just do an upper\lower with 8-12 upper and 10-15+ for lowers. You could google Lyle McDonald's generic bulking routine and tailor it for yourself.
  • donkraft
    donkraft Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Might be more of a physical therapy question. SL can get intense as the program calls for you to add weight and progress through PR's. You should go see a doc and have it looked at.
  • schmidty13
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies/suggestions everyone. I think I will try starting over with Stronglifts and see how it goes.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy enough to do 5 sets of 5, but it doesn't cause any issues when I stay in the 8-10 rep range.

Lost me, you can do 8-10 reps but not 5 reps?

5x5 means you do 5 sets of 5 reps at your top weight for the session.

You do not do the warm up sets 5x5 you only do 5 reps.
  • schmidty13
    Options
    I lift heavy enough to do 5 sets of 5, but it doesn't cause any issues when I stay in the 8-10 rep range.

Lost me, you can do 8-10 reps but not 5 reps?

5x5 means you do 5 sets of 5 reps at your top weight for the session.

You do not do the warm up sets 5x5 you only do 5 reps.

What I meant by that is this. If I lift a weight that is difficult for me to complete the 8-10th rep, I end up with soreness the next day, but not pain. If I lift a heavier weight that is difficult to complete 5 reps, I end up with pain, not typical post-workout muscle soreness. I hope this clarifies better.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Injuries - shoulder circuit by dieselcrew video under the shoulder section. Worked for me, even do shoulder dislocations but long way to go before overhead squats.